Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Luftwaffe canteen?

Article about: Hi guys, What do you think of these items? Are they wartime or postwar? Thanks, Mo

Default Luftwaffe canteen?

Hi guys,

What do you think of these items? Are they wartime or postwar?

Thanks,
    Mo
    Attached Images Attached Images Luftwaffe canteen? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe canteen?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Luftwaffe canteen?

Is the handle on the M31 mess tin aluminum or steel I know my M31 is all aluminum early war issue and is marked just above the hinge bracket on the cup with maker mark and year of production will post a couple of examples
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe canteen?   Luftwaffe canteen?  

Luftwaffe canteen?   Luftwaffe canteen?  

?

Are there any markings on the canteen they are normaly present on the neck and are quite often marked on the cap as well the other thing to look for are the types of snaps used on the cover is there any way you can show more photos of the canteen and cover with particular attention to the snaps as well as the flap open on the cover .

Regards Mark k
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe canteen?   Luftwaffe canteen?  

The mess tin on left doesn't look like German origin at all, the left one looks post war (or, again, if German at all!). Can't tell about canteen, but from that photo it doesn't look that good, as said before: some more photos from different angles and any markings would be great help.

?

I do agree with you ther that the messtin on the left is probably not German as I have looked around and can not find an example of ths style or variation. The one to the right looks to be the right style but I would be a little concerned with out better photos and if you notice there appears to be a paint run mark to the left of the handle.

Regards Mark K

The bottle and cover are both German WWII, altough the marking DFL is unknown to me and the way it's pressed to the body looks weird (it looks like every letter and number is pressed in separately).

?

gnadenlose the canteen that you are refering to you had once given me some advice on on how to stretch the leather strap to make a bakelite cup fit by soaking it in warm water. By the way I did try this but I put a lttle twist on it I soaked it in warm water and then hung it and weighted the opposite end down and repeated this process four or five times and it did stretch the strap quite nicely I might add. I should have kept you updated on that one will post some pictures for you to see when I get a chance as to the maker mark the stap on this canteen is marked D & FL and It was given the thumbs up by JPhilp when I posted it I am unshur on the manufacture and this may require a little bit of research to track down who they were and there location It would be intresting to find out a lttle more about them possibly they were not in business long or were taken over or bought out by someone else ????

Regards Mark K

Hello Gentlemen,
    IMO none of these items is WWII german.
    The messtin on the left could be WWII, but from another country (belgium ?)
    The messtin on the right is postwar german, as the canteen...
    concerning the messtin, the main giveaway here (considering the small photo) is the width of the handle...it's too large. please compare with the one on the messtin posted by Kozowy...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

?

Thanks for wading in on this one JPhilip that is something I never even thought to look at before was the width of the handle it is good when someone points out the fault in an item and gives a good solid explanation to back it up while we are on the subject of messtins and canteens do you have any history or can you point me in the right direction on the maker of my own M-31 manufactured by D&FL thanks for your time.

Regards Mark K

Here is my Belgian WWII messtin for comparison.

Regards

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast