MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Luftwaffe cargo ( Stalingrad pass ) tags

Article about: Hi all, In my quest to buy as little TR stuff as I can this year – poverty sux!! – I spent this weeks beer money on some of these much hyped tags …… you know the ones, sold on EvilBay and ot

Default Luftwaffe cargo ( Stalingrad pass ) tags

Hi all,

In my quest to buy as little TR stuff as I can this year – poverty sux!! – I spent this weeks beer money on some of these much hyped tags ……
    you know the ones, sold on EvilBay and other places for exorbitant prices as “Stalingrad Flying Permits for evacuating the wounded” or other such crap ( excuse the thread title, it was to garner attention ) …… we know now that the story is far less dramatic - they are in fact cargo identification tags for weight class or type for balanced loading of crates on transport planes.

Many of these tags have been found at Stalingrad and Demyansk airfield sites, hence the acquired name, but have also been unearthed in Germany, Italy and France at former airfields and equipment dumps.

Our departed colleague Eric Zentner showed his back in 2010 Luftwaffe cargo id tags

Many will still not believe until a photo of a crate with one nailed to it is discovered, but I still like to think the simplest explanation ( knowing how pedantic the Germans were ) is the truth. Anyway, I've been looking for some good ones and picked up these as examples…… a couple of real mint ones sourced locally and a pair of dug examples from Russia.

Cheers, Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe cargo ( Stalingrad pass ) tags   Luftwaffe cargo ( Stalingrad pass ) tags  

Luftwaffe cargo ( Stalingrad pass ) tags   Luftwaffe cargo ( Stalingrad pass ) tags  

" I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe cargo ( Stalingrad pass ) tags
    P
    Many

?

!!!! You spent this weeks beer money !!!!
    -
    Off to bed with you young man. Wait till your father hears about this.
    -
    -
    -
    -
    Just goes to prove that you damned sure aren't Irish and you are lying about being Australian.

Neat tags.

I swapped the cow for a handful of beans too.

Forgive me...

Picked up another minty fellas!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe cargo ( Stalingrad pass ) tags  

I bought 30 of these for $40 three or four years ago. I see people on fleabay trying for over $100 each!

One of my friends found 200 in the Falaise pocket( Stalingrad in Normandy!!!!).
    The tags were fitted to electrical wire. For him you can tell with the color the use or direction of the wire.
    I stopped to buy them in France, I can buy often but it's allways the same.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

The dug ones seem to be all over the place but not so those in uncorroded condition.
    Considering they are only 1mm thick it is amazing so many survived in the ground.

So, how many different colors were there? Red,yellow,white, orange...I'm trying to remember-was there black too? And only 2 different shapes? Have they ever categorized the different colors and shapes for usages?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I have white ones.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast