Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Luftwaffe cargo ( Stalingrad pass ) tags

Article about: Hi all, In my quest to buy as little TR stuff as I can this year – poverty sux!! – I spent this weeks beer money on some of these much hyped tags …… you know the ones, sold on EvilBay and ot

It's for wires in the Luftwaffe, the tags are by 20 in small bags, H.Dv.946.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe cargo ( Stalingrad pass ) tags
    P
    Many

Indeed that are markers for communication cables used by the Luftwaffe. They are obviously found on large Luftwaffe installations like airfields, and Pitomnik airfield was no exception. They have however nothing to do with cargo classifications, that it just another myth created to make them more marketable by the trade.

So the Heer never used markers on their communication cables only the Luftwaffe? And then to have the gull cutout in them as well? For what reason? .... sounds a myth as well.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

The gull "Leitungsmarken" can be found in documentation (eg. L.Dv. 946) and period photographs, so there is the evidence to back it up. There is some mention of similar "Leitungsmarken" in Heer documentation as well but so far there is little evidence in surviving examples or period photographs of their actual use in the army (Heer). If used at all, the army probably used a different symbol to distinguish them from the Luftwaffe ones. Another reason why we do not find them today is that the army examples may have been made of more perishable materials such as wood or cardboard. Most people probably do not realise that the Luftwaffe's signal branch was larger than that of the army and was far more lavishly equipped, so it should not be surprising that these items are mainly found as a Luftwaffe variants....
    Last edited by Funksammler; 10-22-2019 at 08:26 PM.

I´ve found an explanation of their use on an german Site: Leitungsmarken der Luftwaffe - der-Fernmelder.de

It says they where at the beginning of each Wire, to indicate where they go.

Red/Round: Flak

Yellow/Round: Airformations

Goldenbrown/Round: Air messaging Troops (Luftnachrichtentruppe)

Red/quadrangular: Regiment Göring

White/quadrangular: referee for exercises

Goldenbrown/quadrangular: Aircraft reporting service

Regards,
    Adravor

Quote by Adravor View Post
    I´ve found an explanation of their use on an german Site: Leitungsmarken der Luftwaffe - der-Fernmelder.de

It says they where at the beginning of each Wire, to indicate where they go.

Red/Round: Flak

Yellow/Round: Airformations

Goldenbrown/Round: Air messaging Troops (Luftnachrichtentruppe)

White/quadrangular: referee for exercises

Goldenbrown/quadrangular: Aircraft reporting service

Regards,
    Adravor

Well, a big THANKYOU for that!!! .... I may have seemed to be argumentative earlier but I was just trying to arrive at a FULLY logical conclusion – which to my mind we were not yet at. However, let me digest this which seems to be the answer finally.

I had spent time ( and some money ) getting my pristine examples – as most that are found are ground dug ) to ascertain the colours used which as the link supports are RED, ORANGE/BROWN, YELLOW & WHITE.

However these colours are dangerously close to each other and would be difficult to distinguish apart in low light or even at the best of times – to say they mark certain wires to my thinking it would have been better to be more distinctive than that. The shape would work but the similar shades could be confusing. Maybe for that reason they fell out of use and are found in dumps and large buried lots???
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

I´m not sure, i only know the source i stated above, but i the site also states they where produced till 1944... I would guess it was just important if you rearanged the wires, which would probably happen in daytime. But thats just an theory...

I see nothing about the HG in the period documentation.

Luftwaffe cargo ( Stalingrad pass ) tags
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

What do you mean with HG?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast