Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Luftwaffe Feldflasche ? - Not Sure

Article about: Hi, just so you can see here is a small grouping that came directly from a veteran of the Marines who was in Berlin in 1945. This group of items was a small part of his collection and all th

?

Default Luftwaffe Feldflasche ? - Not Sure

Hello Everyone,
    I've been offered this German canteen, unfortunately there are no markings on the the screw cap, canteen throat, or hanging clip. Looking at the blue colour of the cover, Luftwaffe comes to mind, the cover clip buttons have the same cross flower-shaped pattern on them as the tan coloured wartime covers and the clip & strap layout seems identical - what do members think wartime piece or not ? - don't really want to buy a post war canteen. Any information welcome.
    Regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe Feldflasche ? - Not Sure   Luftwaffe Feldflasche ? - Not Sure  

Luftwaffe Feldflasche ? - Not Sure   Luftwaffe Feldflasche ? - Not Sure  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe Feldflasche ? - Not Sure
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Luftwaffe Feldflasche ? - Not Sure

Hi, I am not a canteen expert, but the clip does not match any other canteens I have seen, all of the ones I know of have aluminum or stainless. And just for my own education did the Germans make a style that did not accommodate a cup of some kind? This one obviously would not.

this looks like a post ww II police issue...

Post-War or civvy.....DEFINITELY not WW2 or WH-issue and as a sidenote the Lufty blokes were issued with "regular" canteens..there weren't "LW" canteens...you can tell if a canteen is Luftwaffe-issue by looking for unit markings of some sort.There could have been blue/grey covers but that doesn't necessarily means that they had been produced to make old Hemann happy!
    Cheers
    Manny

?

Thanks for the posts. Everyone is of the opinion - post-war, I accept that, but to me the shape & size looks like Wehrmacht wartime canteens. Manny has cleared up the Luftwaffe cover point - but what features of the canteen itself, leaps out at everyone and says post-war - is it the absence of of markings on the piece ? strap layout ? or clip ? Hoping to gain a small insight.
    Best wishes

the features which tells this is post war is the blue cover,no markings on canteen or cap,leather harness and the style of hook,,,,all in all,post wwii made,,cover snaps may be leftover wwii stock,,

?

Thanks - Militarymania clears up the points I was unsure of.
    Regards

Quote by militarymania View Post
    the features which tells this is post war is /.../ no markings on canteen or cap /.../and the style of hook /.../
    I disagree. I don't know about the colour of cover and the straps (which I think are made of some Presstoff, so WWII), but everyhing else could be easily period. I've had different kinds of paramilitary canteens over the years and all of them had exactly the same hook, many of them were unmarked.

this looks to me very much like a flieger-hj canteen which can have either blue or the standard felt cover, i have one almost identical with a blue felt cover and the same style clip apart from it is maker marked fss38/fss39 on the screw cap and the bottle neck, i wouldnt discard it as being post war until you have examined it more carefully, sometimes maker marks can be inside the metal clip, inside the felt cover and on the reverse of the leather straps, its worth checking there first, some hj canteens were not maker marked the same way as the standard army canteen. if it is a flieger-hj canteen you have a very nice rare item. there are probably more variations of canteens than any other part of german field gear so sometimes it is very tricky to identify a canteen.

Quote by joachimpeiper View Post
    there are probably more variations of canteens than any other part of german field gear so sometimes it is very tricky to identify a canteen.
    That's very true! I've had HJ canteen properly RZM marked, I have one HJ/BDM canteen marked the same way like army canteens (three letter code and date), I've also had HJ canteen with no markings at all. The same goes for all other German civilian canteens, too many variations, some of these are displayed here: My canteens

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast