Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Luftwaffe Feldflasche ? - Not Sure

Article about: Hi, just so you can see here is a small grouping that came directly from a veteran of the Marines who was in Berlin in 1945. This group of items was a small part of his collection and all th

Default Re: Luftwaffe Feldflasche ? - Not Sure

Hi, just so you can see here is a small grouping that came directly from a veteran of the Marines who was in Berlin in 1945. This group of items was a small part of his collection and all these items were taken from hj members, as you can see the flieger-hj m31 canteen is almost identical to yours. This was taken from one member, the armband is also a hj members and was taken from a different hj member along with what appears to be a home made cosh, the german army flag was taken the same day in the same place but not sure where/who from. The cup photographed is an example i purchased on a seperate occasion of the aluminium cup that was sometimes used alongside these canteens. These canteens were never issued with a cup like the standard canteen that army used. Some hj members carried a cup like this either in the bread bag or backpack. Hope this helps you a little more.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe Feldflasche ? - Not Sure   Luftwaffe Feldflasche ? - Not Sure  

Luftwaffe Feldflasche ? - Not Sure   Luftwaffe Feldflasche ? - Not Sure  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe Feldflasche ? - Not Sure
    P
    Many

The type of carbine clip here is found on Third Reich era canteens including political and HJ. NH

?

Hi Everyone,
    It seems we have a split of opinions. Today I had another careful look at the canteen - stripped it into its component parts. Looked over clip, straps, inside cover and aluminum body without finding any markings at all - it seems we've reached a impasse. The only other thing, I can think of that may bring us forward perhaps!- the cover clip buttons I've posted these two pictures - the markings on them are different than the ones Joachim showed, perhaps someone knows something about the initials - S.H.B. on them. Any opinions welcome.
    Regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe Feldflasche ? - Not Sure  
    Attached Images Attached Images Luftwaffe Feldflasche ? - Not Sure 

After seeing these extra photos, im 95% sure you have a genuine polital / hj canteen. These studs are very common on many styles of ww2 canteens, shb is a very common maker. out of around 40 canteens which i have i would say 15+ have the studs made by this maker. as far as the canteen being unmarked on the body and the screw cap, i would not worry at all as it can be very hard for a collector to come across one of these canteens at all never mind an unmarked one which are a lot harder to find, i think you have an excellent item right here and i would keep hold of it, did you buy it privately or was it from a dealer?

Yes...the shb (like Prim and Stocko ones) studs are very common on canteens and other pieces of equipment,and your canteen could well be a "civvy" one rather than a "political" one in my opinion.I'm always of the opinion that un-marked items are either for the civilian market or post-War but that's MY opinion.On the other hand Joachimpeiper's canteen could well be a WH-issue one put to good use into a blue felt cover...we'll never know for sure as we'll never know the real story about JP's grouping.I don't mean his story isn't true, I just mean that during and immediately after the War it was a common practice for soldiers (a Marine?In Berlin?In 1945?HThe soldier must have been a "Grunt" who later joined the USMC ) to swap "liberated" items against similar pieces or alcohol and tobacco.
    It's also true that HJ/political canteens more often than not were issued without a cup and that many boys carries one either in the brotbeutel or in the "Affe".
    Nice grouping JP and Alech...the coverisn't Lufty but definitely period....try to look for ink-stamped markings under the inner edge!
    Cheers
    Manny

Hi Manny, the veteran was a close friend of my family, i still keep in touch with his family now. he wasnt a grunt nor was he a soldier of the USMC, he was a soldier of The Royal Marines, D Smith plx104786. He was one of the first soldiers into Berlin towards the end of the war although US marines were alongside him also. I also have all of his personal gear that he had with him in the fighting as the Royal Marines moved into Berlin. The cosh and the armband were taken from a hj leader who was watching jewish prisoners, the cosh was to beat them if necessary. The canteen was taken from a seperate hj leader. I know for sure that the flag was taken the very same day. The only item i do not know the origin of is the cup as i purchased this at a later date just to finish off the canteen. He didnt swap anything for these items either. He took these along with other bits and pieces as souvenirs, many soldiers and hj surrendered straight away when he reached Berlin so he took which items he wanted. He had served on previous campaigns also and often took cloth patches from German uniforms as souvenirs, although i havent been lucky enough to get my hands on these yet as another member of the family has them at present. Also from what i have seen in photos the luftwaffe had the same colour felt on the canteens as the wehrmacht. And the maker name of the studs is prym not prim. Thanks, all the best

Hi JP,
    very interesting story...I thought you were talking of a Leatherneck...didn't know you were English !
    I have noticed the cosh as well...and I figured its use !
    I stand corrected..the maker name is PRYM and not Prim as I mistakenly wrote !
    Cheers
    Manny

?

Gentlemen,
    Many thanks for the additional information - interesting stuff. JP, I did take the canteen (35 euro) mainly on the strength of what's been written here - I categorize it now as political / HJ Flieger canteen. The seller I wouldn't describe him as a dealer, he has a second - hand shop, deals mainly in stamps, coins, books, documents, old jewelery and when they come along medals and military pieces. The medals he prices up from his catalogues, equipment is a little harder as the appropriate price list are not there or he doesn't have them. He thought like I first did, due to the dark blue colour Luftwaffe. Now I know that not to be the case. Again thanks for all the extra information.
    Best Wishes
    Alec

Quote by AlecH View Post
    Gentlemen,
    Many thanks for the additional information - interesting stuff. JP, I did take the canteen (35 euro) mainly on the strength of what's been written here - I categorize it now as political / HJ Flieger canteen. The seller I wouldn't describe him as a dealer, he has a second - hand shop, deals mainly in stamps, coins, books, documents, old jewelery and when they come along medals and military pieces. The medals he prices up from his catalogues, equipment is a little harder as the appropriate price list are not there or he doesn't have them. He thought like I first did, due to the dark blue colour Luftwaffe. Now I know that not to be the case. Again thanks for all the extra information.
    Best Wishes
    Alec
    Hi Alech,
    we are all here to help each other
    Cheers
    Manny

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2