Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Luftwaffe / Luftschutz Field Lantern

Article about: Picked up one of these Luftwaffe / Luftschutz Field Lanterns the other day. Have always liked them and thought it would be a good add to the collection. FL. U.V. (Flieger-Unterkunftsverwaltu

?

Default Luftwaffe / Luftschutz Field Lantern

Picked up one of these Luftwaffe / Luftschutz Field Lanterns the other day. Have always liked them and thought it would be a good add to the collection. FL. U.V. (Flieger-Unterkunftsverwaltung). Maker GI BE and 40 for the year of manufacturing 1940. All 4 frosted original panes of glass remain. Threw a small candle in there and lit up pretty cool in the picture below at night. The lantern is approx. 10.5” tall.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe / Luftschutz Field Lantern   Luftwaffe / Luftschutz Field Lantern  

Luftwaffe / Luftschutz Field Lantern   Luftwaffe / Luftschutz Field Lantern  

Last edited by Rossi; 11-22-2014 at 05:55 AM.
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe / Luftschutz Field Lantern
    P
    Many

?

Congrats Rossi, I was just looking at one of these on the collectors guild.

Nice piece of Luftwaffe item to have I had a vet once tell me they found a whole bunch of them at a Luftwaffe airfield that been overrun and surrendered he was in one of the armored divisions in Pattons 3rd Army he had brought one back to use in his cellar during stormy weather. I have always like them may pick one up someday. timothy

?

I appreciate the posts guys. Cool story Timothy. It is neat the collectors on this forum really enjoy the history behind this stuff we are addicted to collecting. Yes we are here for support as we collect but I love when people share things as you did. I think that is and was the greatest part of collecting for me growing up. I put a candle in the lantern and lit it. Just kind of stared at it and remembered all the WWII Stories I heard growing up. Could picture some cold German soldier in the dark of his tent or barracks with a little light after a hard days fight writing a letter home or to his girl.
    Last edited by Rossi; 11-22-2014 at 07:44 AM.

The candles to fit these lanterns are even harder to come by than the lanterns themselves. Emergency candles sold in the States do not fit them-they take an odd European size diameter candle, which is annoying, of course. I have seen these with 2 panes frosted and with all 4 panes frosted-as well as all 4 panes clear too. I think I still have one of these hanging around in the basement, if I remember right. I have seen period photos of soldiers with one of these hooked onto and hanging from their backpacks. They were also used to line runways in the country. They are cool collectables.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Hey Visor...Just took a look at that one after you posted. Have not seen them with a wood handle before. Looks to be in good condition. Also it looks like the original frosted glass panes were replaced which is not uncommon as I guess they broke. These don't pop up with dealers too much but around $125 to $200 is about the going rate pending on condition at lease from what I can tell. I paid $105.00 cash and traded a couple tinnies for this one. So figure I got about $130 in it or so? Hard to keep track any more.

Have a good weekend bud!

Quote by visor View Post
    Congrats Rossi, I was just looking at one of these on the collectors guild.

?

Thanks William. Yep...Candles are tough to find. I saw one with original candle awhile back. The panes broke in these pretty easy. Got lucky to get this one with all intact. If you find yours William please post. Also if you locate the pictures I would like to see them as well. Not super rare but a little different than the normal stuff. Have a good weekend!

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    The candles to fit these lanterns are even harder to come by than the lanterns themselves. Emergency candles sold in the States do not fit them-they take an odd European size diameter candle, which is annoying, of course. I have seen these with 2 panes frosted and with all 4 panes frosted-as well as all 4 panes clear too. I think I still have one of these hanging around in the basement, if I remember right. I have seen period photos of soldiers with one of these hooked onto and hanging from their backpacks. They were also used to line runways in the country. They are cool collectables.

I have a panzer light somewhere in my sheds.

?

Would love to see it Harry!

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    I have a panzer light somewhere in my sheds.