Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M-38 Gasmask Puzzle

Article about: OK, got a questions on this German M-38 Gasmask. Had this as a kid in the 70's and played with it in the backyard along with a sniper K98 (that some wise person decided to sporterize and chu

MAP
    ?

Default M-38 Gasmask Puzzle

OK, got a questions on this German M-38 Gasmask.

Had this as a kid in the 70's and played with it in the backyard along with a sniper K98 (that some wise person decided to sporterize and chuck the scope to make it a "proper" hunting rifle ) still shoot it everyone now and then and these modifications made it so inaccurate you can't hit anything beside a barn.....but back to the topic at hand.......

Mask metal componants: btc 44
    Rubber Mask componants: aqt 44
    Lens: 1944
    Canister: FE 42
    Carrying Case: KGB 43
    Size 1: Large

But it has always puzzled me...

The mask and canister are painted typical ordinance tan but the carrying container is grey. The inside of the carrying container is a darker grey but the inside of the lens case is green.

Now to make it more confusing. Underneth the chipping exterior grey paint the carrying container is painted tan with no other traces of paint (green, etc).

1) Has anyone ever seen something like this before or provide any clues? Is it maybe a DAK and repainted for Luftwaffe which has faded to grey?
    2) Can anyone help with the makers (kgb, btc, aqt)
    3) What are the markings on the straps?

Thanks

Michael

Carrying Container

M-38 Gasmask PuzzleM-38 Gasmask PuzzleM-38 Gasmask PuzzleM-38 Gasmask PuzzleM-38 Gasmask PuzzleM-38 Gasmask PuzzleM-38 Gasmask Puzzle

Mask:

M-38 Gasmask PuzzleM-38 Gasmask PuzzleM-38 Gasmask PuzzleM-38 Gasmask PuzzleM-38 Gasmask PuzzleM-38 Gasmask PuzzleM-38 Gasmask Puzzle
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M-38 Gasmask Puzzle
    P
    Many

Later OT painted can issued to Luftschutz and therefore painted grey??????

That would be my guess.

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

MAP
    ?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Later OT painted can issued to Luftschutz and therefore painted grey??????

That would be my guess.

Dan
    Thanks Dan. Pardon my ignorance? "OT"

Still wondering about the Tan underneath and if it is DAK. They grey is chipping off, itching me to remove it........

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post

Still wondering about the Tan underneath and if it is DAK. They grey is chipping off, itching me to remove it........
    OT is ordinance tan a colour use from 43 on vehicles and equipment, by the way my mask is painted the same

Dug up some shots of mine for you

Quote by MAP View Post

As Rene said Ordinance Tan was from 1943 onward.
    The DAK tan was more 'pinkish' and would have been painted over the earlier field grey green factory paint. This was during the 1941 - 1942 period.

Its like how the "coconut" feldflasche ( called tropical ) saw little use in north Africa )

Regards, Dan

There are many different theories about these masks, but most (if not all) of them suggest this Tan color is a post war job.

These are all marked 48 , G etc.

Apparently these were given to (or bought by) Egypt post war, other theories are that these were used by Belgium or Dutch Civil Defense organizations after the war

The stamp on the masks also suggest that these were stamped on April 1963

Unfortunately we still don't know the exact story behind them, but that the paint job is post war done is more then likely.

The hardware however is original german stuff.....

haven't got my code book here at hand, but will fill in the maker marks tomorrow....

Cheers
    Tom
    Last edited by MP44tom; 04-28-2014 at 07:51 AM.

Ok Tom, so now I'm confused. I know of the tan postwar helmets painted OT but are you saying the tan masks ( & filters) were done for Egypt use also? I have a fuel kanister in this same shade dated 1943 & I would have thought that as field glasses, ammo boxes etc.. were painted OT during the war then so would gasmask kanisters?

Dan

MAP
    ?

Quote by MP44tom View Post
    There are many different theories about these masks, but most (if not all) of them suggest this Tan color is a post war job.

These are all marked 48 , G etc.

Apparently these were given to (or bought by) Egypt post war, other theories are that these were used by Belgium or Dutch Civil Defense organizations after the war

The stamp on the masks also suggest that these were stamped on April 1963

Unfortunately we still don't know the exact story behind them, but that the paint job is post war done is more then likely.

The hardware however is original german stuff.....

haven't got my code book here at hand, but will fill in the maker marks tomorrow....

Cheers
    Tom
    Thanks Tom,

Looking forward to the info. And thanks for the info on the Kanister. Glad I played with this one and not the Green one we had.....

Michael

MAP
    ?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Ok Tom, so now I'm confused. I know of the tan postwar helmets painted OT but are you saying the tan masks ( & filters) were done for Egypt use also? I have a fuel kanister in this same shade dated 1943 & I would have thought that as field glasses, ammo boxes etc.. were painted OT during the war then so would gasmask kanisters?

Dan
    Dan,

thanks for your help. I think Tom was talking about the paint on the Kanister but let's see what he says.

Michael

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast