Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

M31 ESB43 Mess Kit - Named

Article about: Picked this example up today. A later war all steel ESB (Ed. Sommerfeld, Berlin) mess kit with red lacquer interior dated 1943. These later variants do not having the ration grooves and also

MAP
    ?

Default M31 ESB43 Mess Kit - Named

Picked this example up today.

A later war all steel ESB (Ed. Sommerfeld, Berlin) mess kit with red lacquer interior dated 1943. These later variants do not having the ration grooves and also have steel flat wire handle brackets that are welded on instead of the earlier riveted aluminum. Interesting to see the vertical drawing lines in the steel.

Exterior is near mint. Interior has been stored poorly and much of the lacquer is gone replaced by light surface rust.

It is named to what I think is "Schmuder" although the "c" looks like an "s" but this makes no sense ("Sshmuder"??). I have found examples of the "Schmuder" surnames on genealogy sites so I think my reading is correct.

Double click to enlarge photos

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M31 ESB43 Mess Kit - Named
    P
    Many

Always worth making sure you display or store these steel kochgeschirr somewhere warm, not prone to damp. Or without enclosing the lid.

I like it. You are reading the name correctly.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

MAP
    ?

Thank you gentleman. Makes sense about the storage. Probably in a damp garage or basement for the last 75 years.

Glad you concur Ade on the name. Another "s" just made no sense at all.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)