Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M34 Tornister Pack

Article about: Hi Guys, my only "Affe" Tornister pack, but one which I like due to the interesting names etc added to it by it's former owners. Named to two German soldiers, "Willi Engelhard

Default M34 Tornister Pack

Hi Guys, my only "Affe" Tornister pack, but one which I like due to the interesting names etc added to it by it's former owners. Named to two German soldiers, "Willi Engelhardt" and to "K. Leindtest".

There was also an M39 version which cliped on the Y Straps, so it did not need integral straps itself.

My Tornister is maker marked and dated 1940.

This one was given to me by a relative who lives in Canada.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M34 Tornister Pack   M34 Tornister Pack  

M34 Tornister Pack   M34 Tornister Pack  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M34 Tornister Pack
    P
    Many

Default Re: M34 Tornister Pack

Nice pack Ade, I had one of these on my action man many moons ago (even though I still have it) funny the name of these packs, Affefell, in German means ape or monkey fur I believe even though it was pony
    Ben

Hello,
    Adrian : The M39 Tornister was also issued with carrying straps for the troops that were not issued Y-straps. In theory, only M39 Tornister issued to the infantry had the small hooks, the ones for other branches had carrying straps.

Ben : about the nickname "Affe" for the Tornister, the legend says it comes from the fact that the haversack was always on the soldier's back, like a monkey on its circus trainer's shoulder, the fur doing the rest...

glad to be a new member here...

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Hey thats a nice Tornister!!
    I have a couple of Tornisters myself. I love them!

Correct me if I am wrong!
    The M1939 (Tornister 39) was introduced in April 1939 in conjunction with the support straps, which were required to carry the pack. The pack itself was almost identical to the M1934. Instead of integral shoulder straps it was equipped with D rings. The M1939 can be found with both calfskin-covered and canvas back flaps.

Some extra Tornister info from the book: German Field Gear 1939-1945:

In the main compartment were: laced top shoes placed on either side (left, with polish and cloth inside; right, with shoe brushes inside); cook pot in its pocket (preserved bread inside); tent accessory pouch; carbine cleaning kit, rolled in breech cover, one pair of wool socks: sweater (in autumn and winter); and one iron ration meat tin.
    Inside the back flap were: shaving kit, washing kit, sewing kit, towel, handkerchiefs, and undershirt.

Under wartime field conditions the contents were often changed to meet specific requirements, but generally remained similar to the above.

Quote by oksnevad_2 View Post
    Hey thats a nice Tornister!!
    I have a couple of Tornisters myself. I love them!

Correct me if I am wrong!
    The M1939 (Tornister 39) was introduced in April 1939 in conjunction with the support straps, which were required to carry the pack. The pack itself was almost identical to the M1934. Instead of integral shoulder straps it was equipped with D rings. The M1939 can be found with both calfskin-covered and canvas back flaps.

Some extra Tornister info from the book: German Field Gear 1939-1945:

In the main compartment were: laced top shoes placed on either side (left, with polish and cloth inside; right, with shoe brushes inside); cook pot in its pocket (preserved bread inside); tent accessory pouch; carbine cleaning kit, rolled in breech cover, one pair of wool socks: sweater (in autumn and winter); and one iron ration meat tin.
    Inside the back flap were: shaving kit, washing kit, sewing kit, towel, handkerchiefs, and undershirt.

Under wartime field conditions the contents were often changed to meet specific requirements, but generally remained similar to the above.
    Hello,
    As i wrote it in my previous post, the M39 Tornister was issued with and without carrying straps. The version with D-rings was issued to the infantry which was equipped with the Y-straps, the version with carrying straps being issued to the other branches. As the war progressed, more troops were equipped with Y-straps and they received the D-rings version.
    In theory not all branches of service were issued the Tornister, like the Gebirgsjäger troops, the vehicle drivers, tank crews, motorcyclists of all branches, Nebeltruppen etc....The M39 Tornister does not include a messkit pocket. The contents are not really the same in both haversacks.
    Also, the Zeltbahn kit canvas bag was not issued on a large scale. Very few troops used it in WWII. Generally only the Zeltleine and both Zeltpflocken were packed in the Tornister when the soldier was not in the field.

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Bringing this old thread back up to help "Woodpecker"

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Another captured pack which was brought home by a Brit Para. 1939 dated.

Cheers, Ade
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M34 Tornister Pack   M34 Tornister Pack  

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Not "pony" fur. Cow hide. Ponies are for riding. NH

HelloSailor
    ?

Default Can I fly with this?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Guys, my only "Affe" Tornister pack, but one which I like due to the interesting names etc added to it by it's former owners. Named to two German soldiers, "Willi Engelhardt" and to "K. Leindtest".

There was also an M39 version which cliped on the Y Straps, so it did not need integral straps itself.

My Tornister is maker marked and dated 1940.

This one was given to me by a relative who lives in Canada.

Cheers, Ade.
    I am visiting Switzerland and found one of these gems, very excited. BUT does anyone know if I can bring it back to Canada?

Cheers.

Quote by HelloSailor View Post
    I am visiting Switzerland and found one of these gems, very excited. BUT does anyone know if I can bring it back to Canada?

Cheers.
    Hello and welcome to the forum!
    You will have no problem in bringing it back to Canada as long as there is nothing restricted inside of it.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast