Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

M39 Grenade - Was it issued in a metal can?

Article about: I have an M39 Grenade up for auction in the Forum Classified section. The grenade was contained in an open metal can. The person I obtained it from said it was the original container and ver

Default M39 Grenade - Was it issued in a metal can?

I have an M39 Grenade up for auction in the Forum Classified section. The grenade was contained in an open metal can. The person I obtained it from said it was the original container and very rare. I have done some research and cannot verify if it is or is not a valid statement. Attached are three pictures: 1) the grenade that is up for auction; 2) the grenade in the open can (top is removed and missing); and 3) bottom of the can with the outline of the missing key - partial tab remaining.

I would appreciate feedback to validate if it is or is not indeed original. Thank you for your assistance and sharing of knowledge.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M39 Grenade - Was it issued in a metal can?   M39 Grenade - Was it issued in a metal can?  

M39 Grenade - Was it issued in a metal can?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M39 Grenade - Was it issued in a metal can?
    P
    Many

Never heard of these coming in tins like this , normally were issued in a rack in The Stick Grenade type case, is there any markings on the tin ?

No markings on the tin which led me to question that it was authentic. I concur with your reply and just wanted to check with the experts. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Hello,
    Sorry i can't help you here as i have never seen such a container for hand grenades.
    The grenade shown in this thread should be called M39/42 as it has the metal ring at the bottom that was adopted in 1942.
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

That's a new one on me, they usually came packed in wooden crates of 30 or similar metal boxes to the M1924 stick grenades. I think this is a post war marriage.