MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Mess Hall Plate and Bowl - Deutsche Arbeitsfront & Heer(?)

Article about: Another holiday pickup, this mess hall plate and bowl. I'm not completely up to speed on these, but I believe the one with an eagle on it is a Heer mess hall bowl, and of course the plate is

Default Mess Hall Plate and Bowl - Deutsche Arbeitsfront & Heer(?)

Another holiday pickup, this mess hall plate and bowl. I'm not completely up to speed on these, but I believe the one with an eagle on it is a Heer mess hall bowl, and of course the plate is DAF. Not much to say about them other than that. My experience with the German china of the day is limited, but the DAF plate style is not like any other I've seen to date. It has some decoration to it on the front instead of being just plain white, which I believe must be related to the factory or perhaps district or town it was used in? Not sure, but since it seemed unique I figured it was worth it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Mess Hall Plate and Bowl - Deutsche Arbeitsfront & Heer(?)
    P
    Many

Nice plates!

I have a similar piece although 1941 dated.

What struck me about these is their size. I'm in the US, and it would be hard to fit a typical restaurant or cafeteria portion in either of these, unless maybe it's a buffet where they're trying to regulate how much you can get at one time. The plate is a nice luncheon size I guess, and the bowl is almost a saucer IMO. That said, I know portion sizes even here in the US in the 40's were much smaller, so it's definitely a window into the past and something that stood out to me. Maybe that's part of our obesity problem here and we should go back to these!

Any ideas what the icon on the plate is for?

The crown above the 'W' is the makers mark of 'Porzellanfabrik Heinrich Winterling G.m.b.H. & Co. K.G.' The 'W' I assume stands for 'Winterling'. The company closed in 2010.

PM&M [Germany / Bavaria / Marktleuthen (01)]

Lightbulb

Quote by avenger View Post

Before I start, I'll say this is a wild guess.....but my first reaction was 'Nuremberg' and the trademark image does bear a resemblance to the famous Maxtormauer Turm in that city ( Google it, and you'll find many images ).

The caveat is, of course, that Germany is a big place with a lot of castles, so maybe I'm way off beam. It can be very difficult tracking down Third Reich-era trade marks, so you may have to do a lot more research.

It's a very nice plate, though - one I'd be delighted to have in my collection !