Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

MG42 Ammo tin with Israel markings?

Article about: Hi Folks, can anyone tell me any more about this MG42 style ammo tin a friend recently acquired? Locally manufactured? Reworked ex German etc.. Thanks in advance Reg

Reg
    ?

Default MG42 Ammo tin with Israel markings?

Hi Folks, can anyone tell me any more about this MG42 style ammo tin a friend recently acquired? Locally manufactured? Reworked ex German etc..

Thanks in advance

Reg
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MG42 Ammo tin with Israel markings?   MG42 Ammo tin with Israel markings?  

MG42 Ammo tin with Israel markings?   MG42 Ammo tin with Israel markings?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement MG42 Ammo tin with Israel markings?
    P
    Many

My guess is a locally produced version?

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    My guess is a locally produced version?

Cheers, Ade.
    I agree, it's not a reworked German I would say.
    Top handle is at an angle, release catch is also different.
    Jonathan.

Reg
    ?

Thanks Gents, I've not seen one of these before, did the fledgling IDF use MG42?

?

Hi Reg.

The fledgling IDF used ANYTHING it could get it's hands on, weapons, equipment or uniform wise, this also included former AXIS powers' stuff.
    There are loads of photo's/pic's around showing the original Israeli forces looking like a right "Fred Carno's Army" at their beginnings.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

BTW: I agree with what has been said about the ammo can, locally made, because of the angle on the handle and the catch, but based on the WWII German version,
    Last edited by jimpy; 03-22-2015 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Grammar

MG42 Ammo tin with Israel markings?
    Here's a great period picture showing both the handle and release catch on a German ammo can.
    Also great because it includes an Mp40 and an Mg42 so what's not to like!
    It's a very early Mg42, note the rather rare slab sided cocking handle on the 42.
    Jonathan.

Quote by Reg View Post
    Thanks Gents, I've not seen one of these before, did the fledgling IDF use MG42?
    I'm not sure If the MG42 was an "issue" weapon of the IDF, but their arab enemies used them so they could and would be captured and put into use. The MG34 was supplied to Israel by Czechoslovakia i think and they would use a similar ammo can!...

Reg
    ?

Cheers for the thoughts guys

I think Israeli also. The one I have is marked with Hebrew and came with a 225 round MG37(t) or BESA belt. Dows te one above have the insert for belted ammunition. Nice 7.92.. marking on the can which is consistent with the belt.
    Richard
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture MG42 Ammo tin with Israel markings?   MG42 Ammo tin with Israel markings?  

I think Israeli also. Does the can above have an inset for belted ammunition? This one of mine is marked with Hebrew and came with a MG37(t) 225 round belt inside. Also nicely marked 7.92 which would be correct for the belt.