Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Military Entrenching Tools and Shovels

Article about: Have had this shovel for 25 years or so. Haven't paid it much mind as I did not think it was German but took it out a while ago and decide to try to identify where it is from. There are no m

Great example of a Swiss model James often those handles are sanded down taking out the ridges and passed off as German yours is in great shape. timothy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Military Entrenching Tools and Shovels
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Quote by James C View Post
    very nice shovel michael and a great idea for a thread showing all the known makers ,if you dont mind me showing here's my m43 etool of swiss manufacture
    Show away....This is a oft overlooked tool and quite confusing for many given that these were used by many countries over many periods.

Maybe we should change the title of this thread? Any ideas?

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Show away....This is a oft overlooked tool and quite confusing for many given that these were used by many countries over many periods.

Maybe we should change the title of this thread? Any ideas?

Michael
    How true MAP and there is virtually no reference on them except the basic German make as in JP's field gear book that deals with German models only and it has some good reference on them there are no references since Fish's old world field gear book back in the 1980's I am aware of. It is a overlooked piece of gear you are correct. timothy

MAP
    ?

Quote by timothy View Post
    How true MAP and there is virtually no reference on them except the basic German make as in JP's field gear book that deals with German models only and it has some good reference on them there are no references since Fish's old world field gear book back in the 1980's I am aware of. It is a overlooked piece of gear you are correct. timothy
    Thinking of a title that is something someone could find.

"Military Entrenching Tools and Shovels" (or METS - oh, what a bad team.....)

"Post your Shovels" (PYS)

"Shovel Makers" (S&M...no, see Ned making a joke on this one...)

"Shovel Maker Marks" (SMM)

Any ideas?

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Any of those titles would work, nice idea MAP Frank and I started one over at GHW and it did fairly good. I have some typical German models and one Austrian pointed model. timothy

Default Shovels

Here are several models first two are typical German WW2 seven spot weld folded over ears with only a makers faint mark on them. The second one is the infamous "Wolf's Head Logo" of unknown make some think pre war by a maker in Passau Germany (Wolf's head was coat of arms) some think Polish or some other country most agree WW2 era The pointed one is of Austrian make used by the Wermacht this one came from the Norway pile left behind by the Germans in the wars end. The ball on the end of handle may have been removed on it it is not maker marked and has only RRES stamped in wood of handle. I will stick with the straight handle models as that is what we are discussing here. timothy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Military Entrenching Tools and Shovels   Military Entrenching Tools and Shovels  

Military Entrenching Tools and Shovels   Military Entrenching Tools and Shovels  

Here's my German WW2 example for a comparison

Great example Rene of WW2 German model looks like it may be marked opd Gehard Jaeck Vorn Moebelfabrik Kattowitz I have a folding model with that code (opd) and I have seen this code on straight handle shovels as well. So his firm must have made both types. timothy

MAP
    ?

Thanks guys! These are great!

Everyone else! Show away! Would be a great reference!

Michael

thanks michael for letting me show my example very good of you and thanks timothy i didnt realise these were vandalised in this manner ,what a shame ,i will be keeping mine in its original form
    Regards James

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast