Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Mine/Gas Flag

Article about: Hi guys, I picked this up 20 years ago at a flea market. The seller had what looked to be large amount of them in a fold over case. He was selling them for \\$5 a piece. white string had price

I also have this one I picked up a while ago.
    D
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mine/Gas Flag   Mine/Gas Flag  

Mine/Gas Flag  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Mine/Gas Flag
    P
    Many

Btw, I must disagree with the idea that these were used as mine marker flags by the german army during ww2.
    Probably these were used by pow's for marking mines, but these were used as Gas flags by the german army until the end of the war..... (Very nice picture btw Damian )
    Despite the fact that no gas was used during the war, the Germans were very affraid gas was going to be used.... They continued in educating german soldiers in the use of gas masks etc ( I own some very late war german manuals which covers the use of gas suits etc etc)

Tom

Hi Tom,
    Yes, I would agree with you on that. I remember when I went into the German tunnels which were used for dumping tons of German kit after the end of the German Occupation there were literally thousands of the red metal pennant holders all rusted together in piles. The pennants and the canvas or leatherette bags and presumably the ribbon had rotten away years before I got in there.
    D

Dos
    ?

Default Mine/Gas Flag

I had the opportunity to buy two gas markers from a local militaria dealer. I'm very happy to add some more of these little flags to my collection since they look great in my display cabinet. They are called "Spürfähnchen" in German. The right one from the first photo was already in my collection. These are probably the cheapest skull related items from the TR that you can buy. The center one is a bit smaller and has a slightly different color on the cloth, but the construction looks and feels the same beside it being attached to the pole backwards. I don't think there was much quality control for these gas markers, but there were a few skull print variations. The photos below are clickable for a more detailed look.

-Dos

Mine/Gas Flag

Mine/Gas Flag

A few links to other threads here on the forum that have some other variations or information present:

Mine alert flag
    German mine flag/marker
    Gas warning flag?

And a photo from the complete kit with carrier bag, gas markers and ribbon. Credits go to MP44tom:

Mine/Gas Flag

CBH
    ?

Definitely the cheapest TR skull related item you can buy, and I blame Aldo for the high prices these days.

Dos
    ?

I posted this into an older thread with some other variations shown. Keeping such threads alive and adding more information or variants is important for future reference, IMO. Including a post by you CBH with a question about a larger square skull flag. Without any notice or message afterwards, this post was removed and brought back to life in this new post above with an incorrect title and not any of my choosing. The manner in which this is handled is not nice to say the least...

Update: It has been moved back.
    Last edited by Dos; 06-22-2021 at 12:14 PM.

CBH
    ?

Never noticed that, the mods sometimes do that, but usually it’s when the new post doesn’t fit with the old thread. But that wouldn’t be the case here. The mods can be heavy handed around here, and I’ve had my share of disagreements. But it’s still the best forum around and I guess that’s the price we pay, plus 25 bucks for some, lol. Stay safe my friend.

I have a couple of variations .....

Mine/Gas Flag Mine/Gas Flag
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2