Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Mossberg Scope.... help, please?

Article about: Hello all, I'm trying to learn about two scopes. This one is a Mossberg M4. It doesn't seem to be the M4 b, c, or d that I've found during my research. I can't find any military markings. Th

Default Mossberg Scope.... help, please?

Hello all,

I'm trying to learn about two scopes. This one is a Mossberg M4. It doesn't seem to be the M4 b, c, or d that I've found during my research.

I can't find any military markings. The mount is a Ward 04M 2129A.

This scope was found among a very large collection of military items brought back to the States by my father-in-law. Unfortunately, he has passed away, so no first hand information can be found.

I've learned that the Mossbergs were produced from 1938 to 1965? Is it possible this was used during the war? There is a bit of rust starting to form. Should I clean it as I would the guns in the collection? I would eventually like to sell this and all of my other items, but for now want to learn what I can about the history, manufacture and use of the items.

I appreciate you taking a look and look forward to any information you might be able to share.

Regards,

Beth

Mossberg Scope.... help, please?Mossberg Scope.... help, please?Mossberg Scope.... help, please?Mossberg Scope.... help, please?Mossberg Scope.... help, please?Mossberg Scope.... help, please?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Mossberg Scope.... help, please?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Mossberg Scope.... help, please?

A simple Google search found a site Scopes with pix of the same scope and same mount identified as the 5M4 (#5 mount with M4 scope) and all the data indicates it was intended for small calibre rifles (.22). I cannot see this being mounted on an M1 or '03 Springfield or even a K98 (Germans did not use USA sourced scopes when they had Zeiss Jena producing much better optics).
    I also don't see this as a English scope (Lee Enfield? Nah).

Sounds like either it is civilian stock mixed in or someone took a .22 rifle over with them and your Pops ended up with the scope.

As to the rust, try a good Gun Oil and steel wool or scotch brite pad (they make 'em in many grits) and if you de-blue it you can restore it. Don't be concerned about it being a war relic, it is only one in your Dad's memory.

Hi mr. dirt, I have been to that site (as well as many others), but overlooked that model.

Someone along the way told me the scope wasn't made until 1952 and didn't understand how it got into the collection if that had been the case.

At any rate, I appreciate your response!

Well the US Army did purchase the Mossberg M44 .22 cal rifle as a training weapon and some were equiped with the
    M4 scope...