Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My new tornister No.3

Article about: by Neil Hever Hi folks, This is a Fernsprechtornister - NOT a radio pack. It held field phone equipment. It is missing the internal shelves - a very common issue with these packs. The field

?

Default Re: My new tornister No.3

Quote by Neil Hever View Post
    Hi folks, This is a Fernsprechtornister - NOT a radio pack. It held field phone equipment. It is missing the internal shelves - a very common issue with these packs. The field phone equipment was updated in the early 30s and the three packs were part of that upgrade. NH
    Good info Neil !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My new tornister No.3
    P
    Many

Default Re: My new tornister No.3

Add some fotos I find
    My new tornister No.3
    My new tornister No.3
    My new tornister No.3
    My new tornister No.3

?

At the weekend bought this Fernsprecher Tornister at the military collectors club, it came from a soldier in a Nachrichten Unit. Comparing it with the one shown at the start from William, the only difference I can find is the missing leather front panel with a number. The maker is the same - Gebrüder Klinge - Dresden 1941 made a little later. I would like to know which model I have 1,2, or 3. Looking at the illustrations in post 12, I can find no difference in the tornisters only in the content. Any information appreciated.
    Up till now I always believed there were only three tornister models M07/13,M34,M39, now comes this Fernsprecher Tornister with sub-varients.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My new tornister No.3   My new tornister No.3  

My new tornister No.3   My new tornister No.3  

My new tornister No.3  

Alec, There was also a medical Tornister with internal compartments. Your example is also missing the internal shelves you see on the Fernsprechtornister. Contents were the only difference on the packs. The contents are specified in the manual for phone troops and it looks like a couple of those pages have been copied in this thread. I'm not sure why there are un-numbered packs. I can only guess that at some time it was decided that numbering the pack was pointless. NH

?

Thanks for the update Neil, what you write makes a lot of sense, looking at my tornister and the illustrations (post 12) the shelf honeycomb seems to have fitted just inside the square wooden frame without any fixing points /clips to the frame (well I cant find any) a shame both examples are missing this internal piece. You write, there was also a medical Tornister with internal compartments, were the tornisters a similar design to the ones in this thread ? or did they have their own style ? a picture would be great to look at if you have one ! thinking things over, its a wonder, considering the number of threads dealing with tornisters that nobody has shown a medical one, I assume they were much more common than these specialized Fernsprecher ones - as practically every unit had a medical / first aid soldier in it. Again thanks for the help.

Nice communications pack haven't encounted a lot of them through the years had one with the wooden shelves in it it was built on the same order as yours. timothy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2