Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My very first (hopefully not last) gasmask & canister...

Article about: Hi All, I just got hold of my very first German gasmask and canister. It wasn't very expensive, but when I received the package, I got excited - it looks a lot better than I thought it would

?

Default My very first (hopefully not last) gasmask & canister...

Hi All,

I just got hold of my very first German gasmask and canister.
    It wasn't very expensive, but when I received the package, I got excited - it looks a lot better than I thought it would be...
    I'm posting some pics, maybe you guys can say a few words about it.

What I know:

- The mask is a GM30 type, size 2 (maybe Luftwaffe) with nice WaA stampings inside (1943) - nice condition
    - The filter is 1942 with WaA 476 - nice no rust condition
    - The canister has one "flaw" - its missing the top lid of the spare glass compartment - otherwise looks good, with almost 100% paint (looks field-green? - it's sort of greyish/green). The strappings are all in great condition - I kind of hope that they're original
    I've found no markings on the can or the straps...

Anyway, it's a nice start I guess...

Cheers,
    Fabe

My very first (hopefully not last) gasmask & canister...My very first (hopefully not last) gasmask & canister...My very first (hopefully not last) gasmask & canister...My very first (hopefully not last) gasmask & canister...My very first (hopefully not last) gasmask & canister...My very first (hopefully not last) gasmask & canister...My very first (hopefully not last) gasmask & canister...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My very first (hopefully not last) gasmask & canister...
    P
    Many

Default Re: My very first (hopefully not last) gasmask & canister...

Straps are original, but don't belong to this canister. They seem te be post war BW straps. Nice mask.

Nice mask and canister. Does the canister have the spring and cloth in the bottom? Those are frequently missing.
    I agree with Feuerbach regarding the straps. I like these iconic pieces of history.

very nice .the cannister and mask are in superb condition

?

Thanks for the words...
    Nope, no spring or cloth...I will try to find some originals to complete the can. Too bad about the missing lid...
    Straps: how can one tell the difference between "original" or "postwar"?

THX everyone, I'll keep reading.

Also will post my other items soon (hungarian helmets, a couple of nice 88 Flak shells, and bits and pieces), I've been only collecting since 6 months ago, so I'm a noobie
    ( That's why I ask so much )
    It started (my collecting days), when I found some old WW2 photos of my grandfathers (one of them is my avatar - from 1944), both serving in the eastern-front in the hungarian royal army.
    Both of the outlived the war, one of them (the lucky one) was a US POW, the other spent 5 years in Siberia in a Russian camp. Ouch!

Anyway, I was born in the US, but been living in Hungary in the last 12 years...

MP44.nl - German Uniforms and Equipment - Gasmaske has good information. Once you have seen the originals the difference will be obvious. The material has a finer texture in the ones I have seen.

Quote by roger9344 View Post
    MP44.nl - German Uniforms and Equipment - Gasmaske has good information. Once you have seen the originals the difference will be obvious. The material has a finer texture in the ones I have seen.
    Roger is correct - the wartime straps are normally a finer weave webbing and usually the closure strap shows this with the other straps being replaced. This is because they were easier to damage and the BW straps are abundant to refit out rigs with those missing. The cover to the canister missing could be a few reasons 1) it can break at the hinge, 2) it had a date and sometimes eagle stamp that would have been offensive post war or 3) it could have had a name or unit marking that a collector may have wanted and removed it.

I love German canisters and have about 8 ( but would buy more if I could ) .... they are a quintessential piece of ww2 kit.

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

update: just got these for my canister ( Spannring und Putzlappen Wehrmacht für Gasmaske gas mask Luftwaffe )
    should arrive in a few days...

My very first (hopefully not last) gasmask & canister...

Now you just need to get yourself a GM38 to go with it. And then a VM37. And then a VM30. And them a VM44. I find gas masks to be so infectious. Right now many gas masks of the Third Reich have been recently imported from Danish and German stashes, so just about any model can be had from $20 to $80 USD.

hi fabe ,if you dont mind id like to show you my ww2 gasmasks from my collection heres my 1943 dated m30 and my spanish Dräger BlancoMy very first (hopefully not last) gasmask & canister...My very first (hopefully not last) gasmask & canister...My very first (hopefully not last) gasmask & canister...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast