Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Mystery Red Canteen

Article about: I have this canteen that I just can't identify... It is in a cloth carrier and has some leather straps. I took the canteen itself out of the carrier and it is entirely red in color. There is

Default Re: Mystery Red Canteen

Thanks for explanation, Ade!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Mystery Red Canteen
    P
    Many

That's right. Proper enamel is fired in a hot oven to cure it. Yet we call metal paint "enamel".

Thanks for the knd comments by the way. It is my pleasure to try and help out.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    That's right. Proper enamel is fired in a hot oven to cure it. Yet we call metal paint "enamel".

Thanks for the knd comments by the way. It is my pleasure to try and help out.

Cheers, Ade.
    Thank you again, Adrian! Your specificating explanations are great help not only for me, but hopefully for other non-English speaking collectors, too!

I found the brown metal cup that belongs to this canteen (maker marked: RM 44), and also a fork and spoon combo that has the adler and swastika... all I'm missing is the cap to the canteen. Can anyone tell me what this might be worth with the cup and spork?

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    I found the brown metal cup that belongs to this canteen (maker marked: RM 44)/.../ all I'm missing is the cap to the canteen.
    1) please show some pics of the cup

2) actually you're missing some more parts, hint: incomplete straps

Quote by gnadenlose View Post
    1) please show some pics of the cup

2) actually you're missing some more parts, hint: incomplete straps
    Sorry! I thought I put up the pictures... guess not. And oops about the straps... you can obviously tell I know NOTHING about this!

Nice cup! Is it green inside or red?

Hello fellow members,
    Finally someone (gnadenlose) talked about this red "enamel"...which of course is not enamel at all. It is red lacquer, so the red canteens are lacquered, not enameled.
    I've been mentioning this detail many times in the past on the forum...but was barely heard...
    The cup should be green inside as if it was red, the red would be visible at the top of the cup (IMO).
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Quote by JPhilip View Post
    Hello fellow members,
    Finally someone (gnadenlose) talked about this red "enamel"...which of course is not enamel at all. It is red lacquer, so the red canteens are lacquered, not enameled.
    I've been mentioning this detail many times in the past on the forum...but was barely heard...
    The cup should be green inside as if it was red, the red would be visible at the top of the cup (IMO).
    Thanks
    Ade spoke briefly about the whole enamel / lacquer and paint debate on the previous page of this thread.

Yes, the cup is green on the inside - the same color as it is on the outside.

JPhilip, would you be able to offer advice on the best way for me to sell the canteen and spork combo?

Hello,
    you can try to sell them on the forum or even on ebay...don't expect a top price due to the condition. The cloth cover with three studs is rarer than the felt one with four, but the leather strap is damaged and there's no lid on the canteen.
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast