Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NCO's whistle: wartime or Bundeswehr issue?

Article about: Hi Guys, a friend asked me about this whistle. John is an old friend but a new forum member and is still getting the hang of the site. I am unsure if this is wartime or post war in this case

Default NCO's whistle: wartime or Bundeswehr issue?

Hi Guys, a friend asked me about this whistle. John is an old friend but a new forum member and is still getting the hang of the site.

I am unsure if this is wartime or post war in this case? Many wartime ones seem to have more fancy braided lanyards. As far as I know it is unmarked.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NCO's whistle: wartime or Bundeswehr issue?   NCO's whistle: wartime or Bundeswehr issue?  

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement NCO's whistle: wartime or Bundeswehr issue?
    P
    Many

Default Re: NCO's whistle: wartime or Bundeswehr issue?

Ade, you? Unsure? impossible.
    You know everything
    Cheers.
    Nuno

I would sorta agree with you Ade it looks post war, the lanyard looks newer to me.

Plain whistle lanyards are, I think, more common than fancy ones, but how you date these is beyond me. Sorry this is not helpful. I have strange whistle with lanyard that I wish someone could help me with.

Regards and hopefully, someone who knows about these will chime in and maybe I'll post my confusing example as well in another thread (it's a metal one with a gold and silver intertwined lanyard).

Jerry
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

It looks o.k. to me Ade, I think wartime whistles were made of Bakelite as plastics then were not durable. I know postwar that they were made of modern plastics, but when this started to occur, I'm afraid I don't!

Here's a similar German NCO's wartime bakelite whistle for comparision.

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NCO's whistle: wartime or Bundeswehr issue?  
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

See I don't know it all

Thanks guys.

I always like to see Bakelite or Horn.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Ade, BW whistles can be either, metal or plastic...here is a current issue "Pfeifenschnur" not as elaborate as earlier Imperial/WH versions !
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NCO's whistle: wartime or Bundeswehr issue?  

And just for reference, heres an Imperial NCO's metal whistle, from my Feldwebels Dunkelblau "Train" Battalion tunic, which has an interesting feature, a small inside pocket angled between the second and third buttons, just the size for the whistle to be stored in ! notice the wooden "pea" inside the whistle, I believe this featured in later whistles....
    Prost ! Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NCO's whistle: wartime or Bundeswehr issue?   NCO's whistle: wartime or Bundeswehr issue?  

Thanks Steve for sharing!!!

It is of interest to note that metal whistles were not issued to German troops on the Eastern Front during WW2, only Bakelite ones. The reason being that in the intense cold, metal whistles would instantly freeze to the users lips, painful!, whereas Bakelite ones did not.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast