Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need help! 2 liter canteen

Article about: Hi all, found this canteen a little while back,can you help with which branch of service would have used it? It is 28 cm tall, has a diameter of 43cm at its widest point and can hold 2liters

Default Need help! 2 liter canteen

Hi all,
    found this canteen a little while back,can you help with which branch of service would have used it? It is 28 cm tall, has a diameter of 43cm at its widest point and can hold 2liters of water! I have looked in my original book on medic equipment and can find nothing about it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help! 2 liter canteen   Need help! 2 liter canteen  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help! 2 liter canteen
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Need help! 2 liter canteen

hi trevor, can you post some additional picture? any marking?

Hi Matt,
    sorry these are the only photos i got of it. It was on a traders stand and he let me photograph it. The only markings on it are ESB 43. There are no carrying straps or clips, just the leather strap fixed to the neck of the canteen to the cap.

ssmannklein
    ?

Quote by Trevor(Willi) View Post
    Hi all,
    found this canteen a little while back,can you help with which branch of service would have used it? It is 28 cm tall, has a diameter of 43cm at its widest point and can hold 2liters of water! I have looked in my original book on medic equipment and can find nothing about it.
    These are known as "medic's canteens" and/or "mountain troop" canteens. I have heard both things more than once. They are a rarer varient especially to still have the original wool cover.

Quote by ssmannklein View Post
    These are known as "medic's canteens" and/or "mountain troop" canteens. I have heard both things more than once. They are a rarer varient especially to still have the original wool cover.
    Hello all,
    mannklein : This 2 liter canteen is not the one known as medic's canteen and/or mountain troops canteen. Those ones are only 1 liter, while the regular canteen is 80 cl. The medic canteen has a specific carrying system made of leather straps and a metal hook riveted at the rear near the cup. Some collectors say that the real Gebirgsjäger canteen has the same carrying system, but it lacks the hook, some other say that the real one is shaped exactly like the standard canteen, the only difference being that it contains 1 liter, so it's slightly bigger.
    Concerning the 2 liter canteen posted, i've seen one in the past but i don't remember what the seller told me to have me buying it...sorry.
    it could be everything and i hope someone soon will be able to find and post an official text or a period pic showing it in is specific use....unless an expert in this field of collecting (canteens) enlight us....who knows ?
    the only thing i can say right now : the wool cover is bigger than the medics one, but they share some common features, which are the reinforcement at the top of the cover, and the same thing oval shaped at the rear...
    thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Hello,

I agree with JPhilip on this one, that this is not a medic/mountain troops canteen. Like he stated they were only slightly bigger than the regular M31 variant. Also there are/is usually some type of holster or clip that is attached to the felt cover on the canteen.

Below is a canteen from my collection:

I consider this to be a mountain troop variant because of no holster. The back side has a clip like the regular M31 variant which is used to attach it to the 'D' on a belt or strap.

The above photo is my 'belief' of what the medics canteen looked like. Notice the 'holster' and different attachment points.
    Last edited by Empereur; 10-15-2008 at 01:32 AM.

HI all
    thanks for the input.
    Hi ssmannklien,welcome to the forum.

Some mountain units were issued a special flask for mountain troops (Flasche für Gebirgstruppen), though many used the standard M1931 field flask. In about 1943 production of this large flask was halted and M1931 flasks were issued in their place. It held 1 litre and was of a similar design to the M1931. A carbine hook was fastened to a buckle vertical strap witch was fastened arund the bottom, running up the front and back to secure the cup in place. The screw cap was secured to this by an extension of the vertical securing strap. The round cup, with two small securing strap brackets, and strap buckles were painted black.