Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need help identifying 8x57js ammo

Article about: Hello forum, I got some old ammunition from my grandad, which has been in Denmark since the war. I got four boxes (15 rounds each) of which 3 are the normal type, 2 are with stripper clips.

Default Need help identifying 8x57js ammo

Hello forum, I got some old ammunition from my grandad, which has been in Denmark since the war. I got four boxes (15 rounds each) of which 3 are the normal type, 2 are with stripper clips. I can't find out what the fourth one is though. Some seem to say tracer, others say AP (Amoured Piercing). However it seems that AP rounds usually have red primers, not green which is the case here. Any info is appreciated, and I am also curious, why aren't they on stripper clips? My guess is they were intended for either MG, or sniper use (If MG wouldn't they have been marked "FÜR MG" ?) And happy easter to those who celebrate

Frederik

PS: Sorry for bad picture quality, I had to take them with a laptop webcam, since I'm not home

Need help identifying 8x57js ammoNeed help identifying 8x57js ammoNeed help identifying 8x57js ammoNeed help identifying 8x57js ammoNeed help identifying 8x57js ammo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help identifying 8x57js ammo
    P
    Many

Default Re: Need help identifying 8x57js ammo

And just to clarify what it says on the bottom of the cartridges: 37 (right) P (right) S* (right) 93

?

If the label you show is for the black tipped cartridges you show then they are APT or armor piercing tracer with a yellow trace.The green stripe indicates tracer....Pete.
    Last edited by zwerge; 04-07-2012 at 01:18 AM.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Quote by zwerge View Post
    If the label you show is for the black tipped cartridges you show then they are APT or armor piercing tracer with a yellow trace.The green stripe indicates tracer....Pete.
    Yes it's the matching box. Thanks a lot, thats the answer I was looking for

The German official designation for these rounds is:Leichtes Sptzgeschoss mit Leuchtspur.THey are tracer (usually yellow) rounds with lighter,aluminum-cored bullets.
    Aluminum-cored bullets were used in air-to-sair,air-to-ground and ground-to-air gunnery practice by the Luftwaffe (They were NOT Heer-issue,even if they may have been used by the Army as well,of course!).The use of such bullets promoted a gfreater margin of safety in reducing the possibility of errant gunfire entering peripheral boundaries of a gunnery range !
    By simply introducing aluminum as a core material the range of a s.S. bullet could be significantly reduced in that the greatly lessened weight would have translated to a much rapid loss of inertuia and momentum.
    These rounds are quite rare!
    HTRH
    Horrido!