Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need help please ! Strange German metal case

Article about: I've recently acquited this small metal case ( 27cm x 17cm x 10cm ).... I thought it's be easy to identify but it has rather stumped me. The lettering reads 'Behalter fur...' which I know is

Question Need help please ! Strange German metal case

I've recently acquited this small metal case ( 27cm x 17cm x 10cm )....

I thought it's be easy to identify but it has rather stumped me. The lettering reads 'Behalter fur...' which I know is 'case/container for...' but the next word is partially obliterated. It seems to read 'Kamp???of?proben'.

'Offproben' would be 'material samples'......

Anyway, it obviously held six 6cm diameter cylindrical objects located in place by the rubber grommets ( two of which are missing ). It's very well-constructed but - most unusually - I can find no other markings at all - no manufacturer marks, Waffenamts, date, etc.

I've tried the usual Wehrmacht kasten websites which we all know, with no luck.

Any ideas....?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help please !  Strange German metal case
    P
    Many

?

Behalter Für Kampfstoffproben
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Military-archeology-Legenda-Latvia/224779244335847

http://www.hobbyhistorica.com/

A gas detection/identification kit!....

Yep, the Behälter für Kampfstoffproben.....
    They also existed in wood version (which are more common)

Tom
    MP44.nl - Welcome to my Website

Cool

Gentlemen, thank you !

I could have been lazy, and just asked here first, but it was fun to puzzle over it myself for a few days.

Wink

...and now that I know what the markings say, I've found a very comprehensive thread on A N Other Forum, with the same question asked by none other than Klaus Butschek and elegantly answered by Tom ! So I've gone from never having heard of such a thing to being one of the Worlds' leading experts () in about half-an-hour......my collection room will now be renamed the Kampfstoff-untersuchungsstelle

Once again, I'm amazed at the amount of gear that the Wehrmacht carried nearly all the way to Asia.............