MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

New to Forum and looking for an Item

Article about: Hello all, My name is Adam and I just registered to this forum. I'm very big into war history especially WW1 and WW2, I am currently hunting an item for my father-in-law for next christmas,

ASzymanski
    ?

Default New to Forum and looking for an Item

Hello all,

My name is Adam and I just registered to this forum. I'm very big into war history especially WW1 and WW2, I am currently hunting an item for my father-in-law for next christmas, as he is a huge war enthusiast as well.

This christmas I bought him a WW2 book containing photocopies of letters, postcards, etc from important figures and events throughout the war. As we were going through the book we ran across a tool the Reich used to measure the heads of people to determine if their skull was the shape to be considered the "perfect" aryan race. I am not sure exactly what they called it, other then a "head measurer" It looks just like a huge caliper or micrometer. I'd be perfectly fine buying a replica seeing as those are probably pretty rare if they even still exist. Would anyone know what i'm talking about and if there is possibly a place that would sell those type of replicas?

Thank you all for your time.

2. # ADS

Default Re: New to Forum and looking for an Item

Don't know if it would be exact the same, but those instruments are also used by artist in order to copy a head.
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Yes,they're available as instruments to enable and transfer proportions and to measure the growth of children's heads but IMHO you should tell me another!If you're really looking for something that can be found in books,than you'd be much better off focusing on an original gas mask containter or an ammo pouch!Those "head measurers" hardly fit the collecting goals of "War Enthusiasts".If you're looking for something authentic that was used by the same people who used to measure heads with those calipers you can find authentic "Peitschen fur kleidung"...they are nothing but whips that were used to remove the dust from tunics and greatcoats but were also "successfully" used otherwise!
    Have a great 2011
    Manny

Google Craniometry and Anthropometry.

A lot of the "measuring devices" look have a field-expedient or laboratory-made look.

Good luck.

Pat G.