Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Odd German Pack

Article about: Hoping someone can shed some light on what this is exactly. I thought perhaps a side bag for a Calvary Soldier or maybe a bag for equipment accessories. To me it looks like a standard field

Certainly a difficult one for sure, probably never get a 100% certain identification, nearest I could find was dispatch riders bags, but no straps though, could've been added later on?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Odd German Pack  
    Attached Images Attached Images Odd German Pack 
    "Per Ardua"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Odd German Pack
    P
    Many

That's an interesting case. Made of heavy duty leather with strong straps to prevent it opening. Why use leather during war time when canvas might do? Perhaps it protects a sensitive instrument of some sort. Could it be case of an item of signals equipment?

I was thinking about sensitive equipment. I would have expected to find more leather inside to secure such things if that may be the case. I think that a bag for the NSKK is about as close as we are going to get on this one. I have combed over thousands of pictures and came up empty handed. I do not think that the straps were added as all the construction appears original to the item. Usually you would see signs of modification if that were the case (empty thread holes, new thread holes, discolored areas from parts removed, unused rivets etc). The exterior straps on either side and the top could secure something much like a haversack or combat pack would have. The cushion on the bottom made me originally think of a cavalry or horseback rider so the pack wouldn't keep hitting the horse.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2