Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Olympic Watch

Article about: Name: Watch 1.jpg  Views: 0  Size: 114.5 KB  ID: 984155 class= thumbnail style= float:CONFIG /> Ok...let's get all the caveats out of the way first...this isn't mine, I know n

?

I'm not one that would necessarily recommend that page as having all 100% originals, 100% of the time..... No comment on the item, just on my experience with that site.... But I guess we cant say ALL sites are 100% either..... Buyer beware...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Olympic Watch
    P
    Many

Understood and candidness welcomed -thank you

Can you all hear that whirring noise?.....that's me learning. ;-)

Where's Darth Werther when you need him....???

Olympic Watch
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Unfortunately, I do not agree that either watch shown here is genuine. The style and workmanship-especially so of the dial-just do not have the appearance of a Third Reich timepiece. The engraving is so very typical of those seen in modern day made fakes-such as shown in the lot posted by Big Ned. The workmanship is nearly identical. The pair case also is an anomaly. The inner cased piece does not sit inside any kind of depression but simply sits loosely and would have to be carefully lined up so as to not damage the outer and inner cases when closing. While being carried, the inner watch would constantly rattle inside-despite the thin cloth disks inside- and it’s jeweled mechanism would quickly be made useless. It really serves no practical purpose and to make a watch case from non-plated brass is also impractical, as brass rapidly tarnishes and gathers verdigris quickly-especially in a pants pocket with sweat. Nickel or Stainless would have been just as reasonably priced and far more practical to use. Fakers like brass,though, as it gives their items an old time affect and quickly tarnishes down to give the appearance of age to the item-unlike nickel or stainless, of course.

Another point to mention concerning the outer case is that it is unlike any actual pair cased watch that I have ever seen. It does not allow the inner watch's stem and bow to extend through it with a neck, to allow the watch to be attached to a chain and fob. As this arrangement sits, the whole cumbersomely thick set would simply ride loose inside your pocket. (It's far too large for a Woman's purse carried timepiece) Watches back in the 30's had chains for a reason and clothing had watch Pockets made into them to carry them in-such as the now obsolete little pockets found on the right hand pocket of most blue jeans today. The chain’s job was to prevent easy theft or loss and to allow the watch to be at instant access for the owners hand to check. The way this one is made, the bow must be folded to even fit inside the outer case. I would mention also that the bow itself does not even match the materials or the design of the 2 cases and looks artificially pre-worn to simulate the watch being picked up by the stem over the years-but both watches have identical wear as can be seen.

So, what about the $1900 watch shown on the website? Undoubtedly, it was made by the same place as the one posted. Fake producers rarely go to the trouble to make a single unique piece-naturally they generally produce several. Junghans was a fairly prestigious watch company of some many years and a name to be recognized, and so it is quite often seen on modern day fakes as a sort of eye catching bit to convince the buyer it’s genuine. But, looking at the movement in both of these watches, I would have to say that neither look to be the quality of a genuine Junghans. Take a look at this page and compare the movements to genuine Junghans’s. The one’s posted do not match any that I am seeing-and remember, a pocketwatch movement will match exactly others of it’s model. The ornamentation on them will differ and vary, but the jewel placement, the gear locations, the case screw locations will always be identical-whether it be in a $5,000 18K case or a nickel silver dollar case for a working man’s watch-the movements- if they are the same models- are still the same. Junghans pocket watch movement overview - Dirk E. Fassbender Bottom line here being, I think it’s extremely unlikely that either one of the shown watches is period made.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

'Really helpful and informative......thank you

Boy is there no item from the Third Reich that is not faked??!! Not familiar with this watch shown so I did not want to comment but seems bogus pieces always showing up. Often large amounts of cash are forked over and it is ashame when the novice is fooled. Dishonesty will never go away as long as there is money to be made. Sure does pay to get opinions from folks with knowledge. This forum is a good option.

Quote by mauser9 View Post
    Boy is there no item from the Third Reich that is not faked??!!
    I can actually recall seeing rolls of paper wrapped and stamped SS toilet paper for sale...somehow, I doubted it's authenticity...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

CBH
    ?

Thank you Willian for your detailed reply , helpful and informative as always .

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    I can actually recall seeing rolls of paper wrapped and stamped SS toilet paper for sale...somehow, I doubted it's authenticity...
    Ha!! I don't doubt it for a minute pal. What's worse is I would bet my bottom dollar someone bought it!! My all time favorite though is the fake SS daggers at Gun Shows Looks like they would break if ya tried to cut a blade of grass.

MAP
    ?

Quote by mauser9 View Post
    Ha!! I don't doubt it for a minute pal. What's worse is I would bet my bottom dollar someone bought it!! My all time favorite though is the fake SS daggers at Gun Shows Looks like they would break if ya tried to cut a blade of grass.
    And here I thought you were going to say you would "bet your bottom"...

Bottom...Toilet Paper...
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast