Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

P38 holster

Article about: Hello, I have just bought this holster- it seems authentic to me but I would like to know for sure. Any help appreciated. Doug

Default P38 holster

Hello, I have just bought this holster- it seems authentic to me but I would like to know for sure. Any help appreciated. Doug
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture P38 holster   P38 holster  

P38 holster   P38 holster  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement P38 holster
    P
    Many

Not really familiar with these but they are considered as "soft shelled" or "breakaway" holsters, this one looks okay to me.
    Wait for other opinions though.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

At first glance it looks like a perfectly good -as RB pointed out - "breakaway" P38 holster with nice wear and patina. The leather looks nice and soft.

Sewing of the closure strap is a known variation.

The threads are still white, which is good, meaning that it hasn't ever been doctored with black shoe polish. This is a good thing.

The marking I have a slight issue with but they probably mean nothing.

The font size of KKD1944 is extremely large. Also, these maker codes are usually followed by just simply 43 or 44, not the whole date, but that doesn't mean anything without further research.

The P38 is stamped into the leather as opposed to the more common embossing. Look on the web for different variations of this.

Typically the maker mark and/or code is usually seen up high between the belt loops.

Also, I don't see a waffenampt stamp the should be just below the maker mark/and or code. There could also be a Polizei adler instead of the waffenampt but I don't see it.

I'll research this leather maker.

Also, Googling images for this same maker code should show others if they have surfaced into collections and have been shown and/or sold on the web.

A Google of this maker code/date P38 holster turns up others, probably ok, just unusual looking stamps, you'd have to go through a few posts to see if they are the same. It seems this same maker code/date is seen on a few Hi Power holsters, although people get these two mixed up... htey look identical except the Pistole 640b holster has a cavernous mag pocket for the 13rd "double stacked" magazine.

kkd 1944 p38 holster - Google Search

Haven't seen a pic of the back of another one yet, but did just read this on the Walther Forums;

Your kkd44 was made by Wilhem Sten Lederwarenfabrik, Posen. There was no WaA number in the list I saw.
    P08 holster - WaltherForums

Why there is no waffenampt associated I have no idea, unless it was Polizei issue, but then you should see an eagle somewhere.

Or it was late in the war, and waffenampt inspectors were in short supply.

Either way, in closing, damn nice find, and it turns out interesting variation. Great patina! Has the telltale outline of a P38 on the backside. This holster was definitely issued and probably saw action.

Found this on Worthpoint, pics could not be saved due to their copyright protection but I did see enough of the stamp to see that it was the same.

Original WWII German issued P38 holster marked kkd 1944 over P38, the code kkd is for the Wilhelm Stern Lederwarenfabrik Posen company, this manufacture only made P38 holsters in 1944 and they are considered very scarce by P38 collectors.
    WWII German P38 Holster Marked kkd 1944-Scarce Maker (04/09/2013)

Good score

Great information, I am very pleased and grateful.

Photos. Please do not post links to auctions as they will become useless!
    Ralph.

P38 holster
    P38 holster
    P38 holster
    P38 holster
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Sorry about that Ralph. Worthpoint is not an auction, but a site you can subscribe to that shows you past selling prices. The info found on their internet pages is usually up for the duration because that is how they advertise their services, you have to subscribe to see the actual selling prices. That holster had sold on eBay Apr 09, 2013.

The info about the holster that I copied into this thread was what I thought was relevant, I only included the link to show the source.