Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Pair of German Officer Whistles

Article about: Hi, I recently came across this pair of whistles. They were found in an attic packed away in a box with other Nazi bringback items. I have tried to research them, but found that similar whis

Default Pair of German Officer Whistles

Hi,

I recently came across this pair of whistles. They were found in an attic packed away in a box with other Nazi bringback items. I have tried to research them, but found that similar whistles were used by many countries (especially Great Britain). I am just wondering, is this really a German officer's whistle? I cannot find any maker marks or stampings. If you need additional pictures let me know!

Thanks,
    Phil

Pair of German Officer WhistlesPair of German Officer Whistles

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Pair of German Officer Whistles
    P
    Many

I have 2 types of German military whistles and none of them look like this one. Not saying it's bad, just not one i've seen before. The ubiquitous bakelite example to me is the more common and recognizable example.

Pair of German Officer Whistles Pair of German Officer Whistles

Very much doubt they are German whistles take a look at this page below for examples of those. They are however the type that were often carried by UK civilians during the inter war years for personal security, everyone takes note of a police whistle! They were also popular during the war for use if an air raid was in progress. Many households had at least one that was kept at hand during raids in case the occupants were trapped during bombing in a demolished building and could signal for help. The whistles are not police issue as they would have all been marked as such, as were ARP whistles also. Whether they are of the wartime period though is anyones guess.

Whistle Museum: German Whistles, Deutsche Signal Instrumenten Fabrik, History Catalog & Examples, Martin Signal Whistle Manufacturer Company. A.Strauss

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Those bakelite look more familiar to me too.....

This one (in front of the gasmask) I inherited from my father... (he picked it up when the germans left the city of Groningen in 45)

btw, it's more a Uffz item to me.....

Tom
    MP44.nl - Welcome to my Website

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    I have 2 types of German military whistles and none of them look like this one. Not saying it's bad, just not one i've seen before. The ubiquitous bakelite example to me is the more common and recognizable example.

Pair of German Officer Whistles Pair of German Officer Whistles
    I forgot to mention that the reason that these German military whistles were made of bakelite was so that they would not stick to the lips of the user during freezing tempratures such as those encountered on the Eastern Front. They were also available in metal, presumably for more temperate climes.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks for the replies!

My bakelite example was actually ground dug from Stalingrad so the cold temps/sticky lips things makes sense!

Here is my German whistle with lanyard...Whistle is marked "Germany"...
    cheers, Glenn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pair of German Officer Whistles   Pair of German Officer Whistles