Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Period matches

Article about: I was able to add these period matches to my collection. They were advertised as Pioneer matches and holders, but I have found no evidence to support this claim. They were posted with this a

Quote by Kohima View Post
    The Fusee was (and, indeed, still is), a type of conical spring, used in clocks since the 15th century and later to maintain high levels of accuracy in pocket watches when on the march.
    Yep, as well as a ; flare, pyrotechnic device or a type of flintlock rifle

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Period matches
    P
    Many

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    I think that historically a fusee or fuzee has been a kind of warning flare and with that in mind do I recall correctly the German word Fackel(?) so matches fusee (or fusee matches) = matches for lighting flares
    No, actually. The "fuzees" in the lyrics of The British Grenadiers were shortened muskets, basicially the same thing as fusils. This is where the term fusilier/fusileer (in German Füsilier) comes from, wheraes the term fusil itself comes from the Old French term foisil, meaning a piece of flint. (So, there's the match connection: Something to light a fire with.)

The German word Fackel means torch; it is derived from the Latin word facula, which has the same meaning.

(Please don't believe for a moment I know all that stuff off the top of my head; I had to look it up. )

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    No, actually. The "fuzees" in the lyrics of The British Grenadiers were shortened muskets, basicially the same thing as fusils. This is where the term fusilier/fusileer (in German Füsilier) comes from, wheraes the term fusil itself comes from the Old French term foisil, meaning a piece of flint. (So, there's the match connection: Something to light a fire with.)

The German word Fackel means torch; it is derived from the Latin word facula, which has the same meaning.

(Please don't believe for a moment I know all that stuff off the top of my head; I had to look it up. )
    Correct again Andreas

I am with you there. It is another of those words that has so many different definitions over history. Check my added definitions in post #11 above

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2