Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Pitting and rust on P38 pistol

Article about: Hi I bought my deactivated pistol late last year. It may in its package in my spare room before I got it set up in my cabinet. I've noticed it has pitting and rust despite the seller (Realgu

?

Default Pitting and rust on P38 pistol

Hi
    I bought my deactivated pistol late last year. It may in its package in my spare room before I got it set up in my cabinet. I've noticed it has pitting and rust despite the seller (Realgun) telling me it was in "great condition".

Does anyone know a safe way to remove pitting/rust of this type and if I would need to put a coat of something after removing it? I would add pics but I can't see a way to do it. Thanjs in advance for any help provided.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Pitting and rust on P38 pistol
    P
    Many

They are many opinions and options to take care to prevent any further damage from rust. I cannot stand any rust on a gun. The only thing worse than rust is politicians trying to grab our guns.
    Pictures of the areas of concern would help a lot. Could be as simple as any good gun oil, my preference is Breakfree CLP, and a good nylon brush. Tougher areas may require a light handed scrub with brass wool and oil. You should disassemble and wipe down all parts with CLP, or other quality gun oil. If there is rust on the outside there could be rust under the grips and other internal parts.
    Proper storage is the most important factor in preventing further issues. There are also many options and opinions on this topic as well.
    John

There is only one way to remove pitting, and that is to polish it out... something which I do NOT recommend that you do! If you start messing about like that, you then have to re-finish the whole gun. And the only way to do that is to completely strip it down, something you cannot do anyway - because it is deactivated. Removing rust is a different matter, my tried and tested method is to use a light oil and an old-fashioned type razor blade. The technique is to soak the rust, hold the blade at a shallow angle and cut through the rust without scratching the blue. Bear in mind that I have been tinkering with guns for more years than I care to remember, and this technique requires practice.

Cheers,
    Steve

John mentions oil and brass wool,Brass wool is softer than steel wool and will not remove the bluing leaving behind the bright metal beneath the finish.Take your time and don't SCRUB HARD! Less is more! Geoff