Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Quick question on Mauser insignia.

Article about: Hey everybody, I was just having a discussion about whether or not all German Mauser Rifles had Nazi insignia stamped on them or not, did the Wehrmacht also have these Insignia stamped on th

Default Quick question on Mauser insignia.

Hey everybody,

I was just having a discussion about whether or not all German Mauser
    Rifles had Nazi insignia stamped on them or not, did the Wehrmacht also have these
    Insignia stamped on there rifles also during the war or just the Nazis?

If it was just Nazis, would that make the Mausers with insignia much more collectable as they wouldn’t have produced as many?

Thanks for your responses.

Cheers.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Quick question on Mauser insignia.
    P
    Many

The Nazis were politicians. They had no personal use for firearms, beyond those issued to their bodyguards. There were contracts for pistols -- albeit in very small numbers -- but no rifles were produced for the Nazis themselves.

All military Kar98K rifles produced from 1935 to 1945 were stamped with WaffenAmt markings, indicating that the rifle had been inspected and passed quality control standards. There are typically two variations. A smaller eagle, with the inspector's number beneath them, and full eagle and swastika stamps, which I believe are test-firing proofs. Both can be seen in the photographs below.

This is a rifle produced by Erma, with the correct inspector's number of '280'.

Quick question on Mauser insignia.Quick question on Mauser insignia.

Any rifle produced for military use between 1935 and 1945 would feature these markings. As far as I know, the Kar98k was not manufactured for the civilian market, and so any 'authentic' Kar98K will bear military WaffenAmt markings. SS-marked rifles do exist, but their authenticity is a subject of significant debate in collector's circles.

Regards, B.B.

Mausers have been sporterized, and the WaffenAmt eagles were occasionally removed from those rifles, depending on the preference of the owner. Some of the sporterized rifles have also been refurbished to military configuration, so they do exist sans WaffenAmt markings, however in smallish numbers.

Agree with above. Earlier made 98ks had Weimar style eagles also. Often sporterized ones put back to military configuration with the rising prices of these arms lately. Like Brodie said SS contracts often made by BNZ are valuable if original and tougher to come by.

I was never lucky enough to get a 98k. Still on my list, right with a Garand.

Am sure ya will eventually carpediem. Often a local gun shop that sells used stuff that has been sold or traded is a place to start for a 98k and get it at a better price than a Gun Show. Might be an R/C or a mismatched bolt but would make a great shooter to start with. Best of luck with your search.

Been watching. I see them at the shows, guys want too much in my opinion. Going to put a bug in the ear of my LGS.

?

My K98 example stampings for reference. 1940 - 337 - Gustloffwerke, Weimar.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Quick question on Mauser insignia.   Quick question on Mauser insignia.  

Nice looking Gustloff ya got there weller. My dad's bringback I pictured here a while back is 1940 also but is a Borsigwalde rifle. Not sure of the barrel maker as it is probably stamped beneath the woodline of the stock. Notice yours is similar. My dad scored it from a building in a town the germans retreated from. Matter of fact he told me quite a few small arms were stashed there and the troops grabbed what they wanted! Sure wish he could have scored a luger or P-38 also. Luckily the gun matches and still has the sling marked L&F on the buckle. Again thanks for posting.