Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Rare bakelite cxn dienstglas

Article about: More

Default Re: Rare bakelite cxn dienstglas

More
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rare bakelite cxn dienstglas   Rare bakelite cxn dienstglas  

Rare bakelite cxn dienstglas   Rare bakelite cxn dienstglas  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rare bakelite cxn dienstglas
    P
    Many

They are incredible Manny, and you have two of them. It seems that they would crack very easily now, are they still pretty solid or do they seem fragile?

Jay

Quote by sitges1990 View Post
    They are incredible Manny, and you have two of them. It seems that they would crack very easily now, are they still pretty solid or do they seem fragile?

Jay
    Hi Jay,
    the first one I've posted is still quite solid...bakelite's a strange beast...it either gets tougher or brittle with the years,depending on what it was made of,and there's a very nice book on the subject by W.D. Weaver published two years ago by Schiffer by the title "Kunststoffe, A Collector's Guide to German WW II Plastics and their Markings" which makes for a very interesting and entertaining read on this important facet of WW2 German Militaria collecting.It explains how bakelite was made and what was used for what.
    These binos' hinges were quite fragile even then and cracks were at the order of the day with constant and hard use and usually field repaired.I'm almost sure about mine being period-repaired because the repairs have been made with some sort of resin matching the bakelite(maybe the Germans had some kind of "bakelite repairing kits") and it's never been in a collection before...it's been found in an old,dark antique shop were it was sold as a "30s bino"...oddly enough it was gathering dust along with a KM or LW(can't remember) dolch and a bakelite case for the ordinary dienstglas.It was quite dirty and many years of grime did hide the repairs and the markings.
    This second bino is currently on sale on another forum but I think I'll keep it...I've already sold one of the three I had (not so nice anyway) and I'm afraid I'd soon regret letting it go!
    Cheers
    Manny

marko
    ?

hi ive just found some of these bakelite cxn dienstglas while clearing out my grandmothers house after she died, i remember using them as a child with my grandad while walking dog, is there any were you can get a strap as the orignal has dried out and snapped, not sure where my grandad got them just know from his funeral he was a black rat?? he never talked about it so no idea where he was stationed, nice binos still as clear as the day they were made any help would be useful thanks

?

Great stuff! And even rarer. I only own one pair of bino's but they fail to show these up! Thanks for sharing,Manny!
    ~Dean

very nice items manny, i definately need to keep my eyes open for a pair like these to go with the collection

MelissaDaisy99
    ?

Well, great work! You have helped me to improve my knowledge about this field. Thank you so much for sharing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2