Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Is this a real SS inkstamp, or not?

Article about: Is this for real, has anyone else seen or own anything similar? I'm naive enough to think that no one would go through the bother of doing this... but of course we all know better. Thx in ad

Default Is this a real SS inkstamp, or not?

Is this for real, has anyone else seen or own anything similar? I'm naive enough to think that no one would go through the bother of doing this... but of course we all know better.

Thx in advance ;-)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this a real SS inkstamp, or not?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Is this a real SS inkstamp, or not?

Well, I may be wrong, but in my opinion it doesn't do the potato credit......
    Attached Images Attached Images Is this a real SS inkstamp, or not? 
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Ned, can you be a little bit clearer? We're obviously on different meds today ;-)

I see your thumbs down, do you mean to say that someone did go through the trouble of putting this fake stamp inside the eyepiece cover, and you are 100% conclusive on this?

I think Ned is alluding to the art of potato ink stamps. I vote junk too; it's not very much trouble at all for someone to go to, in the hope of convincing a buyer it's an SS VT item and making a few grand.

On the hand, what are the chances that it is not fake? By the way, the person who has these makes no mention of the stamp at all.

Quote by kilomikesierra1960 View Post
    On the hand, what are the chances that it is not fake? By the way, the person who has these makes no mention of the stamp at all.
    And yet has taken a picture of it? That makes me even more suspicious to be honest, since if he didn't mention it in the description he has not misled you technically.

Doug or FB would be able to tell you for certain whether it is good or not, but for me at the moment it looks like a typical later-embellished piece of ebay fodder.

Well it's not that unusual for someone to have taken a picture of an inscription whether they know what it is or not. That being said, there is a least a definite 50/50 chance that it isn't the real thing.

Back to genuine items of SS used field gear, was it even necessary for them to stamp, or inscript items?

Sorry, but I know absolutely nothing about this facet of collecting.

Regardless if the stamp is an actually used stamp or not, for a piece of unfinished leather that is in constant contact and off again with the binocular eye pieces and thus also the sweat and oils from eye contact has endured battlefield weather and conditions for years-not to mention the continued post-war contact with them while in the returnee's possession, I have very strong doubts that the condition of an ink stamping would have survived all these decades with no sign at all of being rubbed against, gotten damp, dirty, rough handled and indiscriminately stored and still be in the pristine condition as shown in the photo.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

All good point I'm sure. I was more wondering if these stamps ever even existed, or is it purely fantasy?

I've never seen a huge SS-VT REICH stamp.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."