Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Rifle Grenade Transport Crate

Article about: Hello folks. To get the obvious out of the way early, this one isn't in the best shape. I suspect it spent many years buried in someone's shed. There was a lot of dirt and debris on the insi

Default Rifle Grenade Transport Crate

Hello folks.

To get the obvious out of the way early, this one isn't in the best shape. I suspect it spent many years buried in someone's shed. There was a lot of dirt and debris on the inside, which I've since vacuumed out. There is also evidence of woodworm, although I believe it's old and nothing to be concerned about. I'll be keeping an eye on it regardless.

Apart from that, I'm quite happy with this purchase. This is a crate that would have been used to transport thirty 'Gewehr-Sprenggranate' (rifle grenades), for use with the so-called 'Schiessbecher'. Each round would have been stored in its own cardboard transport tube.
    While the paper labels on the outside of the box are in poor condition, the labels on the inner lid have survived quite well. There is a contents label, with a WaffenAmt marking and a date of 18th September 1944. I believe this was when the crate was opened, rather than when it was packed. Above it is a warning label, telling the operator that shooting the grenades in too steep of an arc could result in a failure to detonate.

The box isn't in the best condition, as I've already said, but it could easily be far worse. Most of the black paint remains, as do the white stencils. The metal fittings are in good shape, with comparatively little rust and no missing pieces. Both hinges and the catch remain in good working order. The canvas carry handle is also present, but I won't be making use of it!

Rifle Grenade Transport CrateRifle Grenade Transport CrateRifle Grenade Transport CrateRifle Grenade Transport CrateRifle Grenade Transport CrateRifle Grenade Transport Crate

So not the best example in the world, but solid and perfectly displayable. I plan on using it to store odds and ends. Much more interesting than a regular old shoe box. A shame about the woodworm holes. It looks as if someone has been using it as a dartboard!

Regards, B.B.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rifle Grenade Transport Crate
    P
    Many

?

Shame the weight stamp is completely gone. Would of been interesting to see what this would of weighed fully loaded.

Nice box regardless.

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    Shame the weight stamp is completely gone. Would of been interesting to see what this would of weighed fully loaded.

Nice box regardless.
    There is a barely-visible weight stamp stenciled on the front of the box, under 'Heeres Munition'. It's visible, but not clear enough to read unfortunately.

B.B.

?

Great display piece!

Tom

MAP
    ?

Now you have to find 30 rifle grenades and the cardboard tubes!

Nice box!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Now you have to find 30 rifle grenades and the cardboard tubes!

Nice box!
    The hunt begins!

B.B.

Rifle Grenade Transport Crate

Not going to be cheap, good luck!

I'm actually just using it as a storage box. I've got my Stuka crash relics stored in it at the moment. If I was rich enough to refill it with its original contents, I would.

B.B.