MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

( Rough ) MP44 ammo crate

Article about: Quite pleased with this - anything even remotely connected with MP44 seems to command silly prices these days. I've always hankered after - but never found - an ammo crate for the MP44. This

Red face ( Rough ) MP44 ammo crate

Quite pleased with this - anything even remotely connected with MP44 seems to command silly prices these days. I've always hankered after - but never found - an ammo crate for the MP44. This turned up recently on e-bay ; described only as German ammunition box, 'OK for parts'. An early 1500 box for 7.92 cartridges with a nice '1936' mark. But as I scrolled down, something made me hit the 'BIN' button instantly....

It's a box which was reisuued for 2100 MP44 cartridges in 1944.

OK, it's got a couple of bits missing ( which I'll be able to find in due course ) and the woodworm are holding hands ( I've already treated the wood ). But it was very cheap and I'm very happy to have it......

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ( Rough ) MP44 ammo crate
    P
    Many

As you say, anything MP44 commands attention.

A nice buy.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Nice find !!!

Indeed, the label makes it an absolute top piece !! even though it is defect..... And normal Patronenkasten are quite easy to find, so I would sacrifice another one to make this complete...

I do have a Patronenkasten 900 with label for MP44 ammo which also was a lucky find......

Tom

Very cool! I'm interested in the '1936' stamped on the box in the first photo. Does that mean that it may have been used as something else before being repurposed for mp44?

Yes, that is correct. It is a pre war box, reissued for use with new ammo.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Martin,I might have a crate which has other damages than yours.Will see if I can find it and if the lid is intact you might be able to use it to repair yours..
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Military-archeology-Legenda-Latvia/224779244335847

http://www.hobbyhistorica.com/

great find but has a lot of woodworm in it,treat it quick.

Thumbs up

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    a lot of woodworm in it,treat it quick.
    Already done : every single hole sprayed individually with that really nasty stuff which is lethal to pets. It took forever.....