Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Some feldflasche history

Article about: After my little write-up on the breadbag types I thought I might do a wartime history of the water canteen ( feldflasche ) variants based on the few I own. These are just the standard size s

Default Some feldflasche history

After my little write-up on the breadbag types I thought I might do a wartime history of the water canteen ( feldflasche ) variants based on the few I own.
    These are just the standard size soldat ones – I do not have the 1 liter variants used by the GJ or sanitaters ( if anyone has, please feel free to add them )

First off are a couple of pre / early war types ( I will detail them in future posts ) Both have the black painted aluminium cups and the one on the left has lighter brown straps.
    Some feldflasche historySome feldflasche history

Next are early war variants where the caps were now olive green and the Bakelite cup was introduced.

The next pair are tropical variants – aluminium with webbing straps and a friction buckle ( thanks JerryB for this one ) and a ‘coco’ canteen which was an overmolded resin-on-aluminium canteen. This has the normal roller buckle not often seen on webbing straps. More often than not described as DAK issue, these were more likely used in the Italian & Southern Russian theaters.

Finally the mid to late war variants – the left has the steel cap and is a green steel enamel painted can with pigskin straps while the right hand one has the sometimes seen cloth cover ( as opposed to felt ) with a red enamel bottle and a Bakelite cup.
    Some feldflasche history

Details to follow......

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Some feldflasche history
    P
    Many

thanks Dan.

?

Good read.

Good post Dan! timothy

?

Very informative , with great examples.
    Thank you Dan

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Thanks Dan!!!
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Thanks guys! ..... now for the details.
    first are the late war ones - the green enamel steel can version is marked AEMA 44 and the cup is marked SMM 44.
    Screw cap is bakelite and the cover is the normal felt version - just a bit more brown looking.
    The overall condition of the pigskin straps and black painted hardware indicates it was not issued or had an easy life.
    The straps are the full length version ( as opposed to the shortened type shown on the next feldflasche )
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Some feldflasche history   Some feldflasche history  

The other late war type I have has a red enamel body marked MN1944 in a circle near the neck. The bakelite cup is GFC 1943 and the straps are also pigskin leather. The cover is a cloth type with only THREE snaps ( instead of the usual four ) and the strap is a simplified version which only saves about 3" of leather ( guess anything is a saving? )
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Some feldflasche history   Some feldflasche history  

Hi, Dan. I figured I'd add to this post with the Bakelite green cup. Do you have any info concerning these? This particular one was found on the Eastern Front in the area around Moscow, so possibly these were also introduced in '41? It was painted and it was only by chance that I noticed it to be green.

Some feldflasche history

Some feldflasche history

Some feldflasche history

Sorry guys, I let this thread slip a bit - I'll get back into it soon.

As for the green cups, MP44Tom has one and a few other dug ones have surfaced ( pun intended ) to prove the doubters false - they DID exist but I don't know when or in what quantities. An odd colour for something so prominent!!

Cheers, Dan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast