Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

SS jerry can - original?

Article about: Hi All - Please take a look at this SS can - I think it's a good one, but one never knows... Cheers, Fabe

?

Default SS jerry can - original?

Hi All -

Please take a look at this SS can - I think it's a good one, but one never knows...

Cheers,
    Fabe

SS jerry can - original?SS jerry can - original?SS jerry can - original?SS jerry can - original?SS jerry can - original?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS jerry can - original?
    P
    Many

Yes looks like a good one

You do have to be careful with these. The company that made them (Sandvik) restarted the factory sometime in the 90's, just after the collapse of the Soviet Union. They produced new cans using the same machinery, SS runes and all. There are ways to tell the modern ones apart from the originals, but I'm not sure how. This one shows a lot of age, rust and accumulated dings and dents, so presumably it's an original.

B.B.

?

As far as I know, the main difference between the original and repro, is the spout.
    The 1990s made cans have a spout with a daisy marking and the shape of it is also different.
    See pic:
    SS jerry can - original?

Just done a bit of googling, and you're correct about the daisy mark. The modern cans also have gaps in the welding attaching the handle to the body.

Looks like yours is an original!

B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    Just done a bit of googling, and you're correct about the daisy mark. The modern cans also have gaps in the welding attaching the handle to the body.

Looks like yours is an original!

B.B.
    I agree with BB Fabe - the full gas welding around the front of the handle is the main thing to distinguish the post war manufacture.

Note the 'gap' on this one = not ww2 made!

Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS jerry can - original?   SS jerry can - original?  

" I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Here are some good identifiers as well. These comparisons support what Fabe & Dan show in their pictures as well. Here is my one and only on my website...Link here: SS Kannister – Sandrik

SS jerry can - original?

SS jerry can - original?

SS jerry can - original?

SS jerry can - original?
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com