Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

SS KZ Gas mask....apparently

Article about: Wow, thanks for the info on the name... It amazes me the lengths people will go to to "tart up" an item.....if this was faked, surely the seller would mention it in their descripti

?

Default Re: SS KZ Gas mask....apparently

Wow, thanks for the info on the name...

It amazes me the lengths people will go to to "tart up" an item.....if this was faked, surely the seller would mention it in their description if it were linked directly to this SS man....it's not really a name you pluck out of thin air without knowing exactly who he was...it's a big call to attribute this item to him....

Curiouser and curiouser.....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS KZ Gas mask....apparently
    P
    Many

I think I've seen that sheila on the Internet before, just a different type of site.

?

Quote by sandgroper View Post
    I think I've seen that sheila on the Internet before, just a different type of site.
    Cheeky

?

Regardless of the seller's "rep", one would consign this to the shelf full of little cloth stars with Jude printed on them that are currently making their dirty little way around the collector's circuit. Shameless.

Looks like that gas mask has been relisted. I came across it by chance and this was the first site I went to in order to see if anyone had any information on it. I agree that it's probably a fake..........what are the odds that it's actually legit? There really is no provenance on it other than what the seller claims.

no chance it's real.

companies don't manufacture items such as a gas masks that are subject to so much wear and apply their trademark with "stickers". it would be engraved into the mask somewhere or molded into the plastic or rubber parts.

in addition, the stickers reference an insecticide company that makes insect poisons. they would not be making gas masks to begin with.

the stickers are just copies off of a canister of what actually was made by that company and they were glued to a gas mask.

this isn't to mention the markings on the inside of the canister lid for the mask itself. sort of hard for me to imagine an Obersturmbannfuehrer doing the "work" that would have necessitated using such a mask. i would think that would be pretty far beneath the normal levels of such a rank's responsibilities in their eyes.

the thing just seems kind of absurd to me. i hope no one is taken by it.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Karl Ulbrich was a notorious SS scientist who experimented on camp inmates using radiation, biological and chemical substances to ascertain their affects for the purposes of WMD (as it is called today) mainly being nerve gas, and how they could be effectively used by the nazi's.

He also worked at Buchenwald and Gross-Rosen KL the massive camp that held nearly 12% of all the Jews and Russian POW's 'processed' by the regime. I cannot ascertain whether he was captured and executed, commited suicide, as many were and did, or just dissapeared from history at the end of the war.

To be in possesion of his gasmask, surely a seminal item of the holocaust, would be a truly remarkable thing. I'm sure it would be high on the list of 'wants' for the likes of Yad Vashem and other museums representing the Holocaust......If it were real.

The mask is a standard issue mask that has what appears to be a band of red electrical tape around the filter. Glued onto this are two pieces of a cut up Zyklon B label that looks to be a copy, there are repro labels out there for sale, and it is crowned by belonging to one of most notorious nazi scientists after Dr. Mengele.

Why the need for the label off a can of insecticide, it's pointless? Belonging to a notorious mass killer, that'll make it sell, won't it? What we have here is a standard gas mask that's been tarted up to decieve, and nothing else...,unless you believe it is genuine of course.

As for the 'lady' selling the offending item, i tend to agree with some of the above comments, yes, she's definately a 'double-bagger'!!

Regards, Ned.
    tart up a gas mask and earn the moniker "Double Bagger".

there's justice after all. haha

Quote by Bravo 20 View Post
    Looks like that gas mask has been relisted. I came across it by chance and this was the first site I went to in order to see if anyone had any information on it. I agree that it's probably a fake..........what are the odds that it's actually legit? There really is no provenance on it other than what the seller claims.
    I think you could safely say ZERO. Think about it, get a standard gas mask and container, buy a 5 buck repro label, a modellers paint brush and some paint and... Voila!!! I could do it, you could do it, anyone with the slightest bit of artistic input could do it. This thing is worthless as far as it purports to being a genuine horrifically iconic piece of man's inhumanity to man, where's the provenance?

It's a load of bollocks, and what makes it worse is that people will stoop so low as to attempt to hawk this vile, tasteless crap. Whoever buys this is in a way condoning the holocaust and is going to be out of pocket a grand. As far as I'm concerned that's fine, because if they want to own a piece like that then I'm glad they got burned, more fool them.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    I think you could safely say ZERO. Think about it, get a standard gas mask and container, buy a 5 buck repro label, a modellers paint brush and some paint and... Voila!!! I could do it, you could do it, anyone with the slightest bit of artistic input could do it. This thing is worthless as far as it purports to being a genuine horrifically iconic piece of man's inhumanity to man, where's the provenance?

It's a load of bollocks, and what makes it worse is that people will stoop so low as to attempt to hawk this vile, tasteless crap. Whoever buys this is in a way condoning the holocaust and is going to be out of pocket a grand. As far as I'm concerned that's fine, because if they want to own a piece like that then I'm glad they got burned, more fool them.
    Another excellent post from Ned. Well said mate, it is indeed a right load of ____, and any idiot who is parted with his cash for such a tasteless piece of crap, deserves what they get.

i hope i didn't seem to be approving of collecting such an item and expressing sympathy for the unlucky fool who buys this thing.

when i said that i hoped "no one (was) taken by it", i meant that i hoped someone who faked such a thing wouldn't profit by their efforts.

tasteless and horrible.

not that most people find wound badges and armbands tasteful. but still.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast