MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

SS pigeon ring 1936

Article about: hi guys got a question a few days ago i was metaldetecting and found this SS pigeon ring date 1936 at the German border near Holland i know the Germans used pigeons,and some rings got the ad

Default SS pigeon ring 1936

hi guys

got a question a few days ago i was metaldetecting and found this SS pigeon ring date 1936 at the German border near Holland
    i know the Germans used pigeons,and some rings got the adler on it,but never seen this type of rings,hope someone can help me

thanks Pieter
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS pigeon ring 1936   SS pigeon ring 1936  

SS pigeon ring 1936  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS pigeon ring 1936
    P
    Many

Well that's a first for me!...

Can't say that I've ever seen one before either,Pieter, but I definitely like it and would love to have one! If you ever want to sell it, let me know!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

CBH
    ?

Shouldn't a ring for a pigeon have a split , so it can be crimped onto the birds leg .

Looks cast and in one piece ?......

There is,though, a section of it that isn't able to be seen in the photos, so it could well have a seam on it-just not visible in the shots. Would be interesting to see a top or bottom view of it.

And, if you do a google images search for "pigeon leg bands", you'll see that pigeon bands do not have seams. Their feet-unlike that of, say, a Goose being banded, are able to be drawn together and a band slipped over them.

(Lordy! The strange things you learn on this Forum! lol)
    William

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    There is,though, a section of it that isn't able to be seen in the photos, so it could well have a seam on it-just not visible in the shots. Would be interesting to see a top or bottom view of it.

And, if you do a google images search for "pigeon leg bands", you'll see that pigeon bands do not have seams. Their feet-unlike that of, say, a Goose being banded, are able to be drawn together and a band slipped over them.

(Lordy! The strange things you learn on this Forum! lol)
    My grandfather used to race pigeons after returning home to Wales after the war like so many others did

I really do not think a pigeons foot can go through a ring such as this, I am sure they are pressed on when they are still " squeakers "

My grandfather died in the early 70's and my older brother took over his loft of pigeons, I remember helping put on rubber rings on race day, I will have to ask him....

Interesting article here

I believe it is a ring for a pigeon

Racing pigeon leg band................

There you go-pigeon racing bands with no seams! lol

SS pigeon ring 1936SS pigeon ring 1936
    William

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    There you go-pigeon racing bands with no seams! lol

SS pigeon ring 1936SS pigeon ring 1936
    Yes, they are attached when the bird is a " squeaker " or a chick, the leg grows into it

I now believe the band which started the thread is indeed a pigeon band

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast