Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Stalag XI Holzlöffel (wooden spoon)

Article about: A friend of mine obtained this for me at a small market in Germany a couple of weeks back, a Holzlöffel (wooden spoon) from Stalag XI, something a bit different, and an interesting relic fro

Default Stalag XI Holzlöffel (wooden spoon)

A friend of mine obtained this for me at a small market in Germany a couple of weeks back, a Holzlöffel (wooden spoon)
    from Stalag XI, something a bit different, and an interesting relic from a POW camp.

There were two main Stalag XI's, one at Altengrabow (XI A), and one at Fallingbostel (XI B).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stalag XI Holzlöffel  (wooden spoon)   Stalag XI Holzlöffel  (wooden spoon)  

Stalag XI Holzlöffel  (wooden spoon)   Stalag XI Holzlöffel  (wooden spoon)  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stalag XI Holzlöffel  (wooden spoon)
    P
    Many

Some interesting images I found via the internet that pertain to Stalags XI A and XI B...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stalag XI Holzlöffel  (wooden spoon)   Stalag XI Holzlöffel  (wooden spoon)  

An interesting item, but I seriously doubt that it was a camp issued item, from the newness of it's appearance. I have never seen a POW utensil with the camp name stenciled on it in this fashion.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    An interesting item, but I seriously doubt that it was a camp issued item, from the newness of it's appearance. I have never seen a POW utensil with the camp name stenciled on it in this fashion.

Yeah that did cross my mind too, but the price was low (20 bucks) and my thinking was that it was something that generally speaking would be away from the mainstream
    fakes, but.... never having seen one before, it appealed, and even if it turns out to be something knocked up post-war, it is still an interesting piece, I am hoping that it is
    a wartime made item but ..... :-)

This looked familiar so I did a bit of googling and found where I had seen them before.

Stalag XI wooden spoon

They have them on their site for £12. I quite fancied one, they have a nice shape and as a spoonmaker myself I appreciate a nice wooden spoon! However £12 seemed a lot if they aren't the genuine article.

Quote by Trelawney View Post
    This looked familiar so I did a bit of googling and found where I had seen them before.

Stalag XI wooden spoon

They have them on their site for £12. I quite fancied one, they have a nice shape and as a spoonmaker myself I appreciate a nice wooden spoon! However £12 seemed a lot if they aren't the genuine article.
    Nice find Trelawney, if they are fakes, then someone has too much time on their hands, but .... I kinda like the one I have, I like to think it stands a bit of a chance of being from the period... :-)

Quote by Trelawney View Post

Stalag XI wooden spoon

The description says it all really "We picked these up on a buying trip to eastern Europe", i'd say fake!...

OK, ..... I am now on the side of the fake call as well....