Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Strange Oversized Messkit - BAG41 / BT41

Article about: Picked up this messkit last Saturday at the flea-market. At first I thought just another piece, then placing it along side another www2 messkit, I noticed a number of differences - its bigge

?

Default Strange Oversized Messkit - BAG41 / BT41

Picked up this messkit last Saturday at the flea-market. At first I thought just another piece, then placing it along side another www2 messkit, I noticed a number of differences - its bigger - has four soup portion marks as opposed to the normal three - the MM's stamped on the piece, the initials I couldn't find in any data base on this forum or any other forum. The initials on the body and lid are slightly different lid Bag41 - body BT41, however both pieces have a common third stamp (maybe a inspection Stamp) a cross + above a letter T in a rectangle can't say I've seen this stamp before either, the lid handle has differences as well - a small bracket riveted on it and apertures notched out of it, overall its in nice condition. But I'm puzzled, I know the Gebirgesjäger had oversized canteens did they possibly have oversized messkit as well ? any help appreciated.

- - Updated - -

Size Comparison Picture
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Strange Oversized Messkit - BAG41 / BT41   Strange Oversized Messkit - BAG41 / BT41  

Strange Oversized Messkit - BAG41 / BT41   Strange Oversized Messkit - BAG41 / BT41  

Strange Oversized Messkit - BAG41 / BT41   Strange Oversized Messkit - BAG41 / BT41  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Strange Oversized Messkit - BAG41 / BT41
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Strange Oversized Messkit - BAG41 / BT41

The letters BT appear to be in cyrillic script,so it could be Yugoslavian or Bulgarian.........
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

Zwerge,
    Thanks for the post. I've just spent some time looking at the Cyrillic alphabet comparing it to the Latin alphabet. I don't really understand your point that the BT are Cyrillic - both alphabets have the same A,B,T, letters in them, however the Cyrillic alphabet doesn't remotely have anything like a Latin G that's stamped on the lid. Regards

?

Looking forward to hearing where this is from. Looks to be in good condition.

?

Hi Alec IMO this is a Swiss army mess kit.
    I recognize the manufactures mark and the handle on the cup/lid is a dead give away I will include a couple of photos for comparison .

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Strange Oversized Messkit - BAG41 / BT41  
    Attached Images Attached Images Strange Oversized Messkit - BAG41 / BT41 

?

Looks like you got it Mark.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Hello,
    Yes it is swiss....in the red oval you can see the swiss cross stamped on all swiss military equipments...
    It can be confusing for young collectors, but as already mentioned, the handle is a good giveaway
    Thanks

Strange Oversized Messkit - BAG41 / BT41

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

?

Hi Mark,
    Thanks for the post and pictures- it does indeed pin the messkit down to Swiss Army and JPhilip high-lighting the Swiss cross stamp, jogs my memory - years ago I bought a Swiss bullet pouch which also had this cross stamp on it. Again thanks everyone for the help.
    Regards
    Last edited by AlecH; 07-27-2012 at 01:55 PM.