Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

A study of breadbags throughout the war

Article about: Hi all, I thought I might do a photographic study for the forum on the various types of breadbags one might come across so I unpacked mine and snapped a few pictures. JPhilippe’s great book

Default A study of breadbags throughout the war

Hi all,

I thought I might do a photographic study for the forum on the various types of breadbags one might come across so I unpacked mine and snapped a few pictures. JPhilippe’s great book “ German Combat Equipment” is a recommended read and has a great chapter on them but this is my attempt – hope it helps the collector out?

All the best, Dan

A study of breadbags throughout the warA study of breadbags throughout the warA study of breadbags throughout the warA study of breadbags throughout the war
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A study of breadbags throughout the war
    P
    Many

First off is a pair of pre-to early war types. These have leather reinforcements to the loops and aluminium D ring loops.

One is marked to an Obergefrieter Zahn ( who must have been a dentist if my German is correct .... zahn = tooth )

You can see the quality in both the material and the construction of an early breadbag - once you get to grips with this the copies are obvious!

A study of breadbags throughout the warA study of breadbags throughout the warA study of breadbags throughout the war

Also note - NO INTERNAL DIVIDER!!!
    This is the best initial decider of wartime production.

Next are two mid war types. By now material was not as regulated, the leather reinforcing was gone from the loops, the loops were now grey painted metal and the reinforcing leather patches seem to be whatever scraps they had?

The one on the right has a RBN and the number ‘49’ stamped on it as well as the initials ‘AH’
    ( I wonder who that could be?? )

A study of breadbags throughout the warA study of breadbags throughout the warA study of breadbags throughout the war

Here is a late war version and a tropical breadbag.

The late war is still the M31 version and not the M44 simplified one with sewn loops and a pocket for the M34 cleaning kit.
    An exaple of one of these has so far eluded me - of course I cannot bring myself to pay the $200+ they ask when they do turn up!! This one has VERY rough material and shows the cruder construction than earlier types.

The tropical was ( so the story goes ) used by a POW – hence the cut off straps and what looks like suspender strap used for a sling. I like to imagine it with a forlorn prisoner in a holding compound in Tunisia ( but then I have a fertile imagination! )

These two are early to mid war ( with leather reinforcing but steel fittings ) for Luftwaffe ( left ) and Field Police ( right )

The Luftwaffe is a blue/grey and the police is a green/grey. It is also ink stamped with the makers mark and the year 1942 and is hardly used – a few stains but no wear. It was sold to me as a copy, it looks so good but when you handle it ( as is true with most TR items, you just KNOW that it isn't a modern item.

.....that & the wonderful smell of old stuff!!!

OK, hope that helped a bit?
    Cheers, Dan

?

Nice Dan and well done! Thanks! A+
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Ah I forgot this one ....

This tired old bag is a reminder to me not to be too hasty when buying online - I was lured by the unit stamp on the flap but failed to recognize the telltale signs! Look at the straps - if you see curly straps in a photo forget the bag - the leather has gone to God .... all fried up and crispy, never to be softened.... lucky it was only a tenner

A lesson for old and young!

Cheers, Dan

Nice thread. Thanks Dan.

Your man would not have been a dentist: you are correct on your translation. It is just his surname.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Great thread Dan!....

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Nice thread. Thanks Dan.

Your man would not have been a dentist: you are correct on your translation. It is just his surname.

Cheers, Ade.
    Just my Aussie humour Ade ........
    Cheers mate!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast