Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Are these period officer riding boots ?

Article about: Are these period officer riding boots ? I assume they would be private purchase. Thanks !

Thanks !

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Are these period officer riding boots ?
    P
    Many

Here some info posted on WAF:
    "This style of high boot is perfectly known to be WWII era German military officers private purchase...as were all officer footwear/uniforms.
    Probably a thousand period photos can be found of this style boot being worn in both the field and garrison.
    These have a sewn last, lower flatter heel (often hard rubber with no iron, but everything was done, softer leg part with V cut and buckle and strap.....these are textbook.
    Back in the 70s many collectors (well the 3 or 4 who collected uniforms then it seems) called these Luftwaffe officer type, but the fact is ALL branches can be seen wearing them. They actually seem most common with W-SS and Herr foot officers....but every officer rank can be found wearing them."

I am re-posting these photos from a previous thread. They are similar to what you posted. The brand is Helix with Continental rubber heels. There was no clear consensus on the date of manufacture. Reitstiefel were produced by German firms over many decades with little change apparently in the manufacture. As stated in this thread they may have originated in war time or thereafter. Hard to say. NH

Are these period officer riding boots ?Are these period officer riding boots ?

Quote by meyle77 View Post
    Here some info posted on WAF:
    "This style of high boot is perfectly known to be WWII era German military officers private purchase...as were all officer footwear/uniforms.
    Probably a thousand period photos can be found of this style boot being worn in both the field and garrison.
    These have a sewn last, lower flatter heel (often hard rubber with no iron, but everything was done, softer leg part with V cut and buckle and strap.....these are textbook.
    Back in the 70s many collectors (well the 3 or 4 who collected uniforms then it seems) called these Luftwaffe officer type, but the fact is ALL branches can be seen wearing them. They actually seem most common with W-SS and Herr foot officers....but every officer rank can be found wearing them."

Hello,
    WOW..if they say on the WAF that an undatable privately purchased pair of riding boots is TEXTBOOK....they must be right for sure...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Thanks and here is more "textbook" info

"What about the square front ?

!
    Perfectly correct of this style. Again, this exact style can be seen in many clear period photos. In B. Davis's book on German Army Uniforms (for instance) a great photo of these being worn by a PzGdr ObLt in Italy and clearly a combat photo although he may be a POW at the time of the photo....I have a pair of these from a GvB Hptstmfr that I have owned since the mid-70s. These style of officer high boot must have been more comfortable for a lot of walking given the type of sole construction and more flexible shaft."

I am just posting it as additional info for research.

2 more photos.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Are these period officer riding boots ?   Are these period officer riding boots ?  

?

Hi,
    can you make a picture with focus on this part ?

Are these period officer riding boots ?

I dont own the boots - those the only photos available to me.

?

Sent you a PM
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

more from WAF:

They appear to be lined in pigskin, I have seen other leathers used in the lining of these type boots including a white leather (horsehide?) and rough side out split cowhide . The actual boots appear to me to be either cow or horsehide....both were used.
    The sole construction on this style was completely different than most any other German boot (GBJ boots are actually similar) in the way the welt is formed and the stitching instead of wood pegs....heels are also lower and flat. I pointed this out in my earlier post on these. These boots are usually found with a hard rubber heel pad (not always) and are rarely nailed based on what I have encountered.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast