Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Are these the third reich money?

Article about: Are these the third reich money?

Default Are these the third reich money?

Are these the third reich money?Are these the third reich money?Are these the third reich money?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Are these the third reich money?
    P
    Many

No, they are from the era of the Weimar republic!.....

It Depends....on what you mean by Third Reich. Third Reich Produced? Or Third Reich Used?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    No, they are from the era of the Weimar republic!.....
    "Mom....!! Get the wheel barrow out, we need another loaf of bread......"

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    "Mom....!! Get the wheel barrow out, we need another loaf of bread......"
    Never before or after has a country had so many unhappy billionaires.

You can tell by the eagle motif that these were issued prior to the Third Reich period. The Rentenbank was established as a government bank in 1923 when private banks began to fail. The Rentenbankschein were still "legal tender" after 1933 - all the way to 1947 apparently. I suppose a numismatist can illuminate us further. NH

?

A friend of mine, Kate Binder, told me that they would get paid at noon time so they could spend the money before it lost its value.

As said, the Rentenmarks were first issued in 1923 to stabilize and stop the ludicrous inflation after the end of WWI. In this, they were, indeed, successful. When introduced, 1 Rentenmark was equal to 1,000 Milliarden Marks.(a Milliarden translates to 1 Billion) And so ended the ridiculous denomination paper currency of Billions of Marks per note.

The Konversionskasse notes were for Germans who had foreign debts to pay. First issued in 1933 to 1935, what they basically were for was refugees leaving Germany. They were supposed to be promissory notes that could be converted into local currency wherever a German refugee ended up. These refugees were, of course, mostly fleeing Jews. It was not allowed to take substantial amounts of German currency from out of Germany, and so the refugee was instructed to convert their Reichmarks into these notes and convert them into US Dollars, English Pounds, etc. when they arrived in their new countries. The notes were Not legal tender, however, and were not transferable and the unfortunate holders of them eventually found them to be ultimately worthless.

So, in answer to your questions....the Rentenmark were still circulating during the Third Reich era but were not issued by them. The Conversionskasse notes Were issued by the Third Reich but never actually circulated.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."