Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Third Reich (?) cigarette tins - Overstolz

Article about: I got some nice Overstolz small cigarette tins. Probably for 10 cigarettes each because the tins are pretty small. I have seen that such tins are often sold as "Deutsche Afrika Korps&qu

Default Third Reich (?) cigarette tins - Overstolz

I got some nice Overstolz small cigarette tins. Probably for 10 cigarettes each because the tins are pretty small. I have seen that such tins are often sold as "Deutsche Afrika Korps" cigaretts because of the writing backside of the tin: "HAUS NEUERBURG. TROPEN-PACKUNG." Some of my tins have also marked in such way but some just "FUGENDICHT VERPACKT". My question is are these tins from WWII period at all? And if yes, do they have any connection with militaria or even more, with the DAK?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Third Reich (?) cigarette tins - Overstolz
    P
    Many

And some pictures:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Third Reich (?) cigarette tins - Overstolz   Third Reich (?) cigarette tins - Overstolz  

Third Reich (?) cigarette tins - Overstolz  

Good question. I have always wondered about that too.

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

The only reason these cigarettes are often connected with DAK is maybe the air-tight package. Maybe when temperature is extreemly high air-tight packed cigarettes taste better than the ordinary ones? I found a Overstolz add from a 1936 newspaper and as they say: our cigarettes are not the cheapest ones but from this year they are even better because of the new air-tight package.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Third Reich (?) cigarette tins - Overstolz  

Quote by Frundsberg View Post
    The only reason these cigarettes are often connected with DAK is maybe the air-tight package. Maybe when temperature is extreemly high air-tight packed cigarettes taste better than the ordinary ones? I found a Overstolz add from a 1936 newspaper and as they say: our cigarettes are not the cheapest ones but from this year they are even better because of the new air-tight package.
    Tobacco dries out with time and much quicker so under extremely hot conditions. An airtight packaging would help prevent the loss of humidity and keep the tobacco fresh for a longer time.

The 1936 ad already uses the term "Tropenpackung" ["tropical packaging"] and thus proves without a doubt that these tins were not specially developed and manufactured for the Afrikakorps.

Maybe they were also ordered for troops in Africa later on, but the above proves that they were not "Afrikakorps cigarettes".