Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Third Reich Marching Drum

Article about: Hey guys, I finally got my drum in the mail this week. I'd like to call this a HJ drum, but it's a bit big(though I have seen plenty of pics of kids using drums this size) so I'll just call

?

Default Third Reich Marching Drum

Hey guys, I finally got my drum in the mail this week. I'd like to call this a HJ drum, but it's a bit big(though I have seen plenty of pics of kids using drums this size) so I'll just call it a Third Reich drum. I'm fairly certain that it is Third Reich and not WW1 because my circa 1915 drum hanger doesn't quite fit into the holes(see pic). I haven't seen one of these with 3 holes before, does anyone have one of these that I could compare it to? I'd like to see how/where the drum hanger fits, and please include any other info you might have about a drum like this, thank you! Note the red ribbon, very lacy?
    Eddie

Third Reich Marching DrumThird Reich Marching DrumThird Reich Marching DrumThird Reich Marching DrumThird Reich Marching DrumThird Reich Marching DrumThird Reich Marching Drum

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Third Reich Marching Drum
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Third Reich Marching Drum

Eddie - nice "Kleine Trommel" used by not only Hitler Youth bands but also other political bands i.e. RAD, NSDAP Political Leaders units etc. As to the three holes, I feel that there is a drum hanger part missing - have attached a picture reflecting the one I have which has the drum hanger part attached to the drum with two holes. There is a picture in "Angolias book Labor organizations of the reich" on page 425 which reflacts a drum that has a drum attachment fixed with three holes, this was probably done to accomodate the variuos size drum hangers themselves - Hope this helps a little.

Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

?

Definitely, thanks for the response Horst! It's simultaneously fascinating and frustrating to know that I'll never know for sure if I have a RAD, HJ, or NSDAP drum, I think I can see myself collecting many of these though, haha. Yes, the situation with the three holes is rather odd, but I think that you're right about different makers making things differently. I found some interesting threads on a Hitler Youth forum that pertain to this subject of drum hanger holes. (HJ snare drum, sticks and hanger) Here's a photo of a drum from the same forum that has the three hole setup that you describe, it looks like the holes on this one are more spaced out than on my example though. (Hitler Youth Forum - HJ DJ BDM and JM) I think this is how the drum is supposed to be given the presence of paint over the rings, which I just noticed now. Here are a few photos of that:
    Thanks again for the response, can you recommend some books that I can pick up that would help me learn some more about these things?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Third Reich Marching Drum   Third Reich Marching Drum  

Third Reich Marching Drum   Third Reich Marching Drum  

?

Eddie - Dont think theres one book that reflects or discusses stricktly drums but there are variuos books that relate to specific groups i.e. RAD, Heer etc that do have chapters relative to instuments used by them for example the one I noted above. As you did you will probably find more info on the WEB.
    Good collecting

Horst
    "He who hesitates is lost - is not only lost but miles from the next exit"

Try here:
    ยป Famous Drummer Bios & Articles
    Jeez...what does a 1930-vintage rat-a-plan have to do with the equipment used by the fighting forces?If we put together this knick-knack and people asking opinions this forum's becoming a real drag!There's definitely a need for subfora dedicated to this kind of things and people asking for opinions!

?

Sir, my deepest apologies, I shall henceforth restrict myself to only posting about wound badges and helmets. Surely the political aspects of the TR are unworthy of careful study, I mean, why try and understand the whole fabric of the society of the TR? Completely pointless if it never killed anyone, I agree!

?

Looks a nice example. The drums of the period are not the easiet to verify as there are no strict rules to follow. Through some research I found that the construction guidelines were normally adhered to, anybody could make a drum for use in the HJ or DJ for example. They did expect that the measurement should be about 37cm diameter though.

Regards

Carl