Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unidentified kit bag

Article about: Hi everyone, At Malvern I picked up this dirty bag with a broken strap from a box of mixed stuff. There is some nice red stitching on the base and top which first attracted me to it. It fast

Default Unidentified kit bag

Hi everyone,
    At Malvern I picked up this dirty bag with a broken strap from a box of mixed stuff.
    There is some nice red stitching on the base and top which first attracted me to it.

It fastens with 2 roller buckles fixed with 2 hollow push fastenings/ rivets.

Inside, just underneath the flap there is one leather pad each side of the back which re-enforces the strap.

To me just going on the fabric it looks to be maybe 40s-60s? Whenever I rinse it the water turns light yellow, would this be a poorly fixed dye?
    Also it appears to be waterproofed and can still retain water.

Can anyone give me any idea on what it is please?
    Thank you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unidentified kit bag   Unidentified kit bag  

Unidentified kit bag   Unidentified kit bag  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unidentified kit bag
    P
    Many

Default Re: Unidentified kit bag

Hi looks to me to have been made from a old post sack or food sack ,

Possibly a bread bag, any stamps or markings on it?

?

I have seen such a striped cloth on the MKB 42/STG 43 ammo pouches
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Thanks for the input guys very much appreciated!
    Unfortunately there are no visible markings inside or out or on the buckles. However the inside is spattered stained a sort of dark muddy brown, almost the type you get from something viscous and sticky as well as some light oil stains nearer the bottom.
    The measurements are aprroximately 11"(280mm) x 13" (330mm) x 4" (102mm)

That is very interesting Dimas, with a little help from Google I too found the same fabric on STG pouches

http://claus.espeholt.dk/billeder/mp...e43pouchh1.jpg
    http://claus.espeholt.dk/billeder/mp...hes/fort_f.jpg (The website owner says this one may be a Czech fake)

Kradman do you think it is perhaps made postwar by civilians from German cloth stocks?

EDIT
    I found THIS photo from an old clothing bag ebay sale, it is similar but the lid is rounded, there is no handle on top and straps looks stitched on.

Hey Loosewire, the fabric itself may be of TR origin, but the leather parts, buckles, rivets and the way the whole thing is put together doesn't look TR to me at all. Germans had their stuff mostly stitched together, not riveted, and they did not use metal parts with shiny finish on any military stuff.

From the way it is riveted could even be Finnish army made i have seen this alot in Wartime and postwar Finnish tool bags etc ,You find sometimes just after the war in Germany bags were made from whatever cloth was around ,sorry i cant help you more