Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Unknown box for Gas Schutzhaube

Article about: Hi Members, who knows what kind of Gas Schutzhaube was inside this box? Have anyone a photo? thanks Nikolaus

Default Re: Unknown box for Gas Schutzhaube

The really obvious reason is that no one really had any use for the gas masks after the war, yet the tin could always be used for holding something else..... as ammo boxes were often used to keep tools these tins would have found another use as well.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unknown box for Gas Schutzhaube
    P
    Many

Perfect tool box !

?

Tom I see the example you have posted has the original straps on the container still how were these to be worn in the field.

Regards Mark K

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    Tom I see the example you have posted has the original straps on the container still how were these to be worn in the field.

Regards Mark K
    I think you would have been unable to fight if wearing one of those masks, since your face would have been to big a mess to wear a normal gas mask.

But as I see it, you would have put it over the wounded soldiers head, and tucked the "skirt" under his uniform and buttoned it all the way up and then somewhat delicately have used the straps to create a gas proof seal around the neck, careful so not to strangulate the wounded at the same time.

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post

Regards Mark K
    Hi Mark

These were carried by Sanitäter in case of emergency in my opinion (and normally were stored in the Fieldlazaret I guess.)

Of course the Sani himself carried a normal gasmask.....

The filter of the (head)wounded man was to be used...

Tom
    MP44.nl - Welcome to my Website

?

Thanks Tom a very nice piece of equipment indeed .

Regards Mark K

Quote by JERSEY 34 View Post
    The really obvious reason is that no one really had any use for the gas masks after the war, yet the tin could always be used for holding something else..... as ammo boxes were often used to keep tools these tins would have found another use as well.
    I realise what you're saying, but in quite a lot of cases I've seen boxes that still have the part that would have held the Gasschutzhaube in place intact, unlike the one at the start of this thread.... Also, there are rather a lot of other Second World War German items that were saved following the war that would be completely useless for anything other than their actual purpose, but people still had them. Not every gas mask canister was turned into a watering can, and every helmet turned into a flower pot, I just find it unusual that there is hardly any of the Gasschutzhaube's themselves.

Thanks

Danny

any photos of the straps on the case ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2