Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown WW2 (?) bike...

Article about: Hello all! A friend of mine just sent me these pics of a bike! It is abandoned and we guess that it dates back to WW2! It is located at a Greek island! Here are the pics i got so forgive me

Default Unknown WW2 (?) bike...

Hello all!
    A friend of mine just sent me these pics of a bike! It is abandoned and we guess that it dates back to WW2! It is located at a Greek island!
    Here are the pics i got so forgive me for the quality and the lack of detail but i hope they can help!

Thanks for your time people!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown WW2 (?) bike...   Unknown WW2 (?) bike...  

Unknown WW2 (?) bike...   Unknown WW2 (?) bike...  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unknown WW2 (?) bike...
    P
    Many

Noone knows?

It looks like a BMW R series to me, maybe a R51 or similar. A post war (1950's) motorcycle built to a pre war design. Better wait for some of the other more informed biker's here though.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Russian post-war Ural?

Looking at the pictures again I don't think it is an Ural but rather a Dnjepr. Shape of the engine is not of a Ural. Anyway the problem with these bikes, (both Ural and Dnjepr) is they are hard to date as they built them more or less the same over the years. The model didn't change much over the years, and they were of course Russian copies of German BMW bikes.
    So an abandoned bike like this is hard to date, could even be made up from different bikes.
    I had a 1960's Ural some years ago, funky machine that was. I painted in WH colors as one does with these machines.
    Big problem was always the engine, and the fact that the cylinders shared a bobine. So the cylinders sparked at the same time! Best thing to do was remove the engine and find a used Citroen 2CV engine and bolt that in. Makes them a lot faster too (and unsafe!).

its got the classic BMW pinstripes so I go for 50's BMW.