Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wehrmacht Gasoline Can

Article about: ...and of course, I plan to have my friend (who's a photographer) take photos...I know these are crap, sorry

?

Default Wehrmacht Gasoline Can

Hi All,

Just bought this can for a REALLY cheap price (converted to US dollars - about 25 dollars) - the seller had only this one photo...
    I've done some detective work, and it seems this one is a 1942 Nirona (Nirona-Werke Nier u. Ehmer Auto u. Fahrrad-Zubehör Beiersfeld).
    Can't make out the number under the logo...I asked about the other side of the can - he said it looks even better than the pictured side. No holes, dents.
    According to the seller, in original condition - no re-paint, etc., but I didn't see it myself personally. For 25 dollars, probably still a good buy anyhow.
    We'll see...
    (I've checked the seller's history: he usually sells "junk" old VCRs, TVs...no WW2 items at all. I think he has no clue about this stuff.)

Looks good, but I'll know when it arrives in a few days. I'll make more photos then...

This will be my first & last can - for I live in a small flat...

Cheers,
    Fabe

Wehrmacht Gasoline Can

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wehrmacht Gasoline Can
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Wehrmacht Gasoline Can

Fabe, you appear to have a nice original example. The number under the Wehrmacht logo is the serial run, or production number. Regarding the price, you did very well. Regular fuel cans such as this piece are common items, but still generally sell for twice the price you paid, especially outside of Europe. The paint needs to be looked at to determine originality, but from the first shot shown above, it appears a modern addition. Traces of orange/red base coat paint, that was applied hot to prevent corrosion, should always be visible, be it fuel kanister, Wasserkanister or SS kanister, as they were all manufactured using the same process. When the can arrives, check the inside of the lid too. The small air vent should be almost round in form, not rectangular as many reproduction pieces are.

Regards,

Carl

?

Congrats! Lets hope its a pre 45 made object!

?

THX, I'll find out in a few days... (As I've said, what's keeping me hoping, that this guy is not a "WW2" seller - if he was, I would have not bought it...for it's sure to be a fake. Well, it's still might be...

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Fabe

?

I doubt it is a reproduction piece. If it were an SS example, then yes, as most of those out there are not genuine period pieces, but the regular cans are, generally speaking, a much safer bet. I've attached a few images of the inner cap area, to highlight my earlier comment regarding how to spot originals. The rectangular air vent, shown on the example below, is characteristic of reproductions. The genuine example however, displays a more rounded form of vent. Both of these images are SS cans, yet as stated above, the production format remained the same, so the vents are similar in all types of kanister.

Regards,

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wehrmacht Gasoline Can  
    Attached Images Attached Images Wehrmacht Gasoline Can 

?

And traces of original base paint, for your consideration...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wehrmacht Gasoline Can  

?

Many THX for your help, Carl.

Kanisters are addictive Fabe... I know- as does Carl ... ( I keep buying them ) and soon your flat will become smaller
    Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

You're welcome Fabe. When the can arrives, maybe you could take some more photographs and add the images to the "Kanisters..." thread located within the Field... forum?

Regards,

Carl

?

well, when it arrives, I'll take some pics - first to get confirmation from you guys that, it is the real thing...and of course if it is not a "fake" I'll post them.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wehrmacht Gasoline Can   Wehrmacht Gasoline Can  

Wehrmacht Gasoline Can   Wehrmacht Gasoline Can  

Wehrmacht Gasoline Can   Wehrmacht Gasoline Can  

Last edited by Fabe; 12-08-2012 at 09:54 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast