MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

On what I was told a German Trench Shovel with a Serrated Edge.

Article about: I think it's a WW1 or 2 German Trench Shovel. The interesting thing is it has a Serrated Edge like for sawing a branch or something. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Default On what I was told a German Trench Shovel with a Serrated Edge.

I think it's a WW1 or 2 German Trench Shovel. The interesting thing is it has a Serrated Edge like for sawing a branch or something. Any help is greatly appreciated.On what I was told a German Trench Shovel with a Serrated Edge.On what I was told a German Trench Shovel with a Serrated Edge.On what I was told a German Trench Shovel with a Serrated Edge.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement On what I was told a German Trench Shovel with a Serrated Edge.
    P
    Many

It might be Swiss, as indicated by the reinforcement-ring...
    cheers, Glenn

I was able to do a rub and see some type of symbol. If anyone can recognize it please chime in.On what I was told a German Trench Shovel with a Serrated Edge.On what I was told a German Trench Shovel with a Serrated Edge.

Cool tool, I'd keep it in the truck ;-) Emblem looks like a spading fork?

LOL, I was thinking a octopus. Oh well.

Here is the emblem in different contrast. Using light and a good camera it appeared. If anyone can recognize it please chime in.On what I was told a German Trench Shovel with a Serrated Edge.On what I was told a German Trench Shovel with a Serrated Edge.

Aravis8
    ?

Hello,
    I am recent on this forum. Your post is now old, but i may still be helpful about this shovel?

You have a beautiful austro-hungarian shovel of 19th century. I believe the brand is:
    " Vogel & Noot / heart in fire pierced by a small arrow / WARTBERG "

This brand is famous and is still existing in Austria (manufacturing professional tools for trucks .. )
    On your shovel, the markings look somewhat damaged or less readable because of corrosion etc.
    I join photos of a shovel with more readable markings.
    These serrated shovels are very close to the original Linnemann's shovel invention. Vogel & Noot brand certainly worked with Captain Linnemann, when he came to Austria in 1870's years.
    This model was existing till about the WW1, and from 1910, a new model of shovels was adopted by austro-hungarian Army (a pointed shovel, without saw and with smaller riveted shaft).

For these serrated shovels, i believe there are two periods:
    - about 1880's - 1890's : heart pierced by a small arrow
    - about 1900's - WW1 : heart pierced by a longer arrow
    You should have a shovel from the former period.
    I think all of these shovels had square blade at first (looking like Linnemann's Patent), and many of them were pointed later (probably during WW1), because standards had changed (Army preferring pointed blades for these tools).

Sincerely,
    Pierre

On what I was told a German Trench Shovel with a Serrated Edge.On what I was told a German Trench Shovel with a Serrated Edge.On what I was told a German Trench Shovel with a Serrated Edge.On what I was told a German Trench Shovel with a Serrated Edge.

Nice one Pierre and welcome to the forum!

The best I could have said was that it is European and no later than WWI so I have learned much from your input.

This just reinforces how important it is that threads are properly formatted with pictures uploaded correctly to the forum so that even years later an answer comes along to the benefit of us all even if the original poster is no longer here.

Had the pictures been on a host site this thread would be useless and Pierre could never have made this helpful contribution.

"Everyday is a school day"

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Aravis8
    ?

Hello Mark and thank you.

Just to complete.

In this post we can see the austrian 1910 shovel model, with the pointed blade, the smaller shaft and the same Brand Vogel & Noot.
    Need help on this entrenching tool
    But, we can see the differences too: up-side-down logo than older generation serrated blades / and the longer arrow. As far as i know, the long arrow was kept in logo for the following years.

Another very interesting shovel's blade: It is surely one of the oldest Vogel & Noot production, and it shows the connection between the brand and Captain Linnemann / the blade has both logos!
    - V / heart in fire pierced by small arrow / N : which it is surely first Vogel & Noot Brand's logo
    - JOH. LINNEMANN'S PATENT : on the shaft
    We can notice this blade has no serrated side. So both types were existing obviously (but the saw was already invented by Captain Linnemann, as it is registered in his 1869 patent).

Sincerely,
    Pierre
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture On what I was told a German Trench Shovel with a Serrated Edge.   On what I was told a German Trench Shovel with a Serrated Edge.